Bandsaw for sale

As i recall someone said they needed a bandsaw a few weeks back.

Powermatic 20" bandsaw, band saw in very good condition. 220V, single phase power. Complete with fence guide, miter gauge, operating instructions and parts list. Price is firm $1,200.00. Made in USA. If you are interested, leave your name and phone number, Thanks 365-9247

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

If i didn't allready have a bandsaw i would scoop it up for myself. Looks like its in a factory so shipping should be no problem.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

OK, I have a dumb question. When is a vertical bandsaw like that Powermatic, better than a horizontal?

Reply to
Ignoramus20484

This is a wood-cutting bandsaw, not metal (altho some have dual-speed setup, don't know this particular model well enough to know otomh whether is or not).

Larger saws such as this are quite frequently used for resawing or making solid veneers or turners use them for laying out large bowl blanks and the like.

Also, of course, they have the advantage over the TS or RAS of being able to cut curves for pieces such as chair legs, etc., etc., ...

All in all, very useful devices to move the material rather than the saw. I'd seriously consider it to upgrade the small one here if were closer; it is good value at the price.

Reply to
dpb

Thanks. I was thinking about cutting metal, not wood.

Ignoramus20484

I honestly did not know. Now that I do know, I am sure that I only need a horizontal. Might even sell my chop saw.

Ignoramus20484

I keep an abrasive wheel in the chop saw for hardened steel much better than ruining a bandsaw blade.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

The horizontal's strong point is is cutting bar stock to length, pretty much unattended once the workpiece is locked in the vise and the motor started. (It should switch off when the cut is complete.) And serious versions are equipped with coolant pumps to keep the blade and the kerf flooded with coolant.

The vertical's strong point is cutting material from flat stock, either straight cuts, or following outlines to minimize the amount of metal which needs to be removed by a milling cutter.

A vertical with a blade welder installed in the column is also particularly nice at cutting out a hole of whatever shape in the middle of the plate stock. You drill a hole large enough for the blade to fit through, and in the part of the stock to be removed, cut the blade, thread it though, weld it (and grind the flash off), thread it back onto the wheels and guides, and cut from that hole, following the outline, until you reach that hole again and the slug drops free.

If all you have is a lathe and a bunch of rod stock, the horizontal is all you need. If you also work with a milling machine and a bunch of flat stock, the vertical is preferred. Generally, it is nice to have one of each.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Mine has provisions for coolant. It does not seem to work, I will check into it when I get time tomorrow.

I do not need that much.

I think that I will have just one, the horizontal. THis Wilton seems to be relatively honestly made.

Ignoramus20484