2007 SP0.0 available

I noticed this morning that 07 SP0.0 is available for download.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Yipeee - this morning my doctor was just telling me I had low blood pressure. I can now drop the medication and just download sw2007 . A few hours using it should get the pressur iup.

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

In years past the SP 0 download has come with a warning saying that when the CD's come a reinstall is necessary. Is this still the case? I have not seen any warning for this version. Maybe the Installation manager is taking care of this now?

KMaren

Reply to
ken.maren

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1153929707.928007.261460 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

I don't know, but in the past it hasn't been that painful. You don't have to uninstall, just update sp0.0 to sp0.0 from the CD.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

WAIT FOR SP1.0 BEFORE INSTALLING AND IMPLEMENTING ON MISSION CRITICAL SYSTEMS!!!!!!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I for one wish that they took a little more time with this. I don't believe it's ready. I've submitted enough bugs that have not been fixed, and keep finding new ones, that I can't say I'd use this on a modeling project. I've been using it exclusively everyday for a while, but not for modeling projects, if that makes any sense. The stability isn't terrible, but I have crashed 3 times this week. Still, I'm doing experimental stuff, and not exactly using real design workflow.

That said, they have fixed a surprising number of my personal gripes. I keep running into things that I've ranted about in the past which are fixed, which is a very welcome change. Still there are crazy things that I can't understand why:

- lack of alphabetization in lists (colors, files of type, file locations, etc)

- 3D sketch planes all but unusable

- offset splines cannot be trimmed?!?

- split feature overwrites files when edited after number of bodies changes

- boundary surface definitely is an anti-climactic underacheiver

- spline handles at ends have phantom symmetric entities

- what's the deal with curvature combs? several problems here

- about 50% of the time my Fill surfaces get little warning flags on them?!?

- section view previews work on surfaces, but once you click OK, it stops sectioning surfaces bodies?!?

- still have not fixed the default First Angle Projection for ANSI installations for the viewport display. This is simply irresponsible.

Beta testing for 07 was about half of what it seems to me would be enough time to really test things. Pre-release this year was all but non-existent. What's the rush when there seems to be absolutely zero urgency from users for another new version?

To be fair, here's a short list of things I've found which were personal gripes which have been addressed (I know I've left a lot out):

- c2 condition actually works more often than not on lofts and fills (this success is part of what makes the boundary surface - limited to 4 sides - a bit of a non-starter)

- one of my favorite new things is the new hotkey interface. excellent job, guys!

- open surface edge color setting is finally used at times other than wireframe

- many error messages have been moved to little balloons which you can ignore and keep working.

- full screen mode, and easier to close the FM

- sketch ghost image returns!

- finally fixed the settings for backup and auto-recover with additional options and distinguishing between the two as separate functions.

Not that anyone's watching. 2007 is going to take even longer for most users to adopt than 2006 did.

Reply to
matt

Thanks Dale,

I made three contacts today as a result.

VAR -

Yes, we will still support 2006, but nothing more will be fixed. We all know the drill. If the VAR can open it and the problem doesn't appear in 2007 then nothing will be done. I'm hoping they were wrong and there will be another 2006 SP.

PDM provider.

Yes, we are 2007 ready, but we would prefer staying with 2006

FEA provider.

No answer yet.

And here's my problem. Since we are getting ready to switch from 2004 to something newer, should it be 2006 which is now obsolete or 2007 which may be unusable. Going to 2006 means double the training to switch.

And finally, my calendar still says it is 2006. I expect it won't change for another 5 months.

I wonder if people planning on a SW purchase will hold off till a stable SP of 2007 comes out now?

Reply to
TOP

sp5 is on the horizon. you can check out the (huge) list of fixes on sw support site.

Reply to
kb

I just talked with SolidWorks support and yes it is still the same as previous releases. You need to "upgrade" your SP0 download to the SP0 CD/DVD version. Main reason is that they would like everyone to get to a level playing field for future service packs.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
ken.maren

"Jeff" wrote in news:1153936947.509439.295910 @p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, that way you can all get bent out of shape over the bugs introduced in SP1.0, and roll back to SP0.0.

Seriously, what guarantee do you have that SP1.0 will be better than SP0.0? It seems to me that if you're nervous abouta new release, you would do an evaluation instead of blindly accepting a later service pack. People who waited until SP3.0 of 2006 must have had a nasty shock if they upgraded without looking.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I've had a request via Email to fill out a survey on Solidworks. Did anyone else get this? I presume it was paid for by Solidworks. It was through netreflector.com. Wherever I was asked for a comment, I just banged on repeatedly, about longer release cycles and better speed, stability etc They might get it eventually if enough users respond in this way. Then maybe not, and I willl have to start looking for another CAD package.

I think this article has a lot of relavance to where Solidworks is at right now.

Nev Williams

Yup I got that survey as well.... Why do we need to complete a survey about this? Surely VARS communicate the feedback they get to HQ. This stuff has all been articulated many times before over the years in the newsgroup. We know they read here at least some of the time where is the need to explore what customers think of them? I thought it was just one of those 'looks like we care' marketing stunts but I filled it out. I wonder if users are beginning to put up resistance to subs renewal in numbers enough to get noticed by the accounting section?

Reply to
neil

I wish that were true, but a lot of us have been banging that drum for years, and you see the effect. Plus, I think marketing people's ears are only tuned to hear frequencies uttered by other marketing people.

Several of us that post here regularly had the direct attention of a bunch of high level tech folks at SW World, and the quality thing was drummed on hard. They gave us a bunch of reasons why things were different now, and would only improve. Deja vu.

Reply to
matt

where i can find solidworks 2007 to download and test it ??

Reply to
Lukasek SW

Yup, 3 Amigos II. Only there were 5.

Reply to
TOP

My theory is that the number of active posters here or even among all the forums is statistically insignificant, and probably could be demonstrated not to be in line with actual trends among users.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Dale Dunn

so you are saying most SW users simply don't care a rats?

Reply to
neil

"neil" a écrit dans le message de news: eaa8bo$1g5$ snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org...

I understood: there are 100 000 users (300E3?) of SW in the world. And maybe

250 posters/ readers (even if 1000) here. That's less than 1%.

"The thickness of the line..."

Reply to
Jean Marc