OT-Which version of Linux is best?

After discoving a copy of Mandrake 9.1 that a friend had given me was full of corrupted files...sigh... Im looking for another copy of some
sort of Linux to install on an old Compaq 350mhz 128meg computer.
Ive been putzing around with run from CD Knoppix, which is basicly a Debian distro and have managed to configure a server, get on line etc though finding a newsgroup reader has me stumped at the moment..shrug.
Anyways...does anyone have and preferences in a Linux distro for a beginner? Ive got highspeed access at a friends shop and can download and burn any of the current versions of Linux
Which one is best, with the simplest learning curve, best hardware detection ans so forth?
Thanks
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

With a machine of that vintage, most of the current distro's will work ok although I would advise against using KDE or GNOME. If you want a graphical desktop, choose a lightweight one (FVWM is pretty good)

Thunderbird runs OK on linux/Xwindows.

The best thing to do is get a LiveCD distro similar to the Knoppix you've already played with, that way you can try it out without having to install on a hard drive.
There is a comprehensive list of LiveCD distros at http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php Take a look and pick a few to try.

Mandrake (now Mandriva) is still one of the best, if I were you I'd go for Mandrake 10.1 rather than the just released Mandriva SE2005.

You're welcome.
Gunner wrote:

Have a look at Xandros. One bootable CD; sets up a virtual disk in memory and leaves your hard disk alone. Detects all the hardware I have ever tried it with. Mozilla suite, the GIMP, Open Office and Zine video player all included. If you like it, you can do a hard disk install and add any Debian packages you want. You can use apt-get to keep the whole distribution (not just the operating system) updated. Nothing to lose, I got the disk for nothing from a local electronics shop.
Roger_Nickel wrote:

On a 350 Mhz machine you could look at the XFCE desktop, http://www.xfce.org/ I used this for several years on an old P133 and it served me well. Gnome/KDE will be slow on a PII/350

I used Slackware on an old 386 IBM model 80, which I'm sure is incredibly slower than 350 - and it ran like a scalded dog. There's even a version I have on diskette which I believe is called "monkey linux", sort of a subset, and text interface only. But you could run the whole computer right from a diskette and do quite a bit of stuff. IIRC, though it was very sensitive to your configuration and didn't work on a lot of machines. I really enjoyed Mandrake, even though it seemed to be sort of "Linux for Dummies". But I was a dummy when it came to Linux, so it was a good choice for me. If I found out that there is a version of Firefox for Linux, I think I might just scrap the whole M$ thing at home and go for it.
snipped-for-privacy@otherwhitemeat.org (TheAlligator) wrote:

Ooops. It wasn't Monkey that ran off of a diskette, it was Mini-Linux. I see that I have copies of both, but now I can't remember much about Monkey. I do remember that with Slackware, I settled on Joe as my text-editor of choice, much more useable than that arcane piece of nonsense that was imported from Unix - can't remember the name of it.
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 13:38:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@otherwhitemeat.org (TheAlligator) wrote:

I downloaded Damn Small Iinux yesterday..seems to run really well on my laptop. and this box. http://www.damnsmalllinux.org /
I have that Compaq 350 flushed and blank, so I will do full installs on it as Im learning. Run from CD is ok but Im going to immerse myself in it. Hence Im looking for full distros. Having dial up sort of limits things a bit. Needing an external modem for most Linux has slowed me down a bit, but Ive managed to come up with some externals so now I can get into it.
Gunner

Thanks. I'll give that one a try and see what it's all about.
Gunner wrote:

Neat - wish I had kept my old DOS box and that 1200 baud modem. Gave the modem that had current loop and 1200 baud on it to a friend with a DEC. It was a DEC.
Rats. Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
lionslair at consolidated dot net <"lionslair at consolidated dot net"> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    Are you perhaps thinking of "vi"? I remember just enough of it to edit the configuration file on jove (my own favorite editor) (Jonathon's Own Version of Emacs -- a subset of emacs which is much less resource hungry -- though on my current systems, even emacs is fast enough, and does more.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

I cold wail away with Vi but once I got EMACS - that was nice - periodic updates - I downloaded my first copy from JPL ftp site. A long time ago. I like the multiple window and verticle edit ability. Some neat stuff.
If someone needs the Vi basics - I have some UNIX book here and likely a general set of commands.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
lionslair at consolidated dot net wrote:

OOPS - didn't get Emacs from JPL - that was PEARL. But that is an pearl of a different question.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
lionslair at consolidated dot net <"lionslair at consolidated dot net"> wrote:

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    [ ... ]

    O.K. Perl was originated by the same fellow who wrote the newsreader trn -- Larry Wall. Back in the early days, in the man pages, near the front, he stated "PERL stands for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". However, near the end, in the "BUGS" section (which used to be a standard part of all unix man pages), "Don't tell anyone, but PERL *really* stands for "Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister". He took features of every language which he had used and rolled them all together into perl, making it possible for people to write almost reasonable programs in it based on what they knew of other languages. I remember one of the users who had taken a perl script and tried to make it do what she wanted (without noticing that it was in perl), had written using AWK syntax -- and it *almost* worked. :-)
    It was first released in comp.unix.sources quite some time ago.
    Emacs, IIRC, was written by RMS (Richard M Stallman) -- and the name comes from "Editor MACros", as it was first implemented as a set of macros for a different editor -- before it split off on its own.
    Jove is a nice subset of emacs, with no built-in Lisp interpreter, and limited (unless you re-compile after editing the source) to line no longer than 2048 bytes long. Emacs will edit *anything*, including binary files, and (if you have the proper privileges) even edit a raw directory to clean up bad characters in filenames -- such as '/' embedded in filenames by a Mac using a NFS filesystem from a unix server. (The only other *totally* illegal character in a filename is a null -- though there are some which can be quite inconvenient. :-)
    And -- jove is close enough to emacs in the command set so switching back and forth is fairly painless.
    I'm not sure what joe is like as an editor.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Cool -
I noticed in the back of my Perl manual (an early one - nutshell) Larry Wall was at the time a programmer at the JPL. He authored rn and 'patch' and perl. metaconfig that writes config files as well. The last time I heard of Wall, he had just been sued by INTEL as he was a consultant to them on scripts and the internet - he showed the IT group how open their network was and got in hack several times. Then he flat broke in from the outside and showed them what was possible. He found out what would be done... Oh - I have a 'first printing' :-) My March 1987 Emacs - a sixth edition, version 18... GNU Emacs - Written in C and has a Lisp Interpreter. Like the LIFE 'game' that is bundled. I have emacs for windows - other computer now. It was in a download support site for Emacs and was still active a few years ago.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
Martin Eastburn wrote: ...

... Wrong. Randal Schwartz (not Wall) was convicted of felonies at Intel. Schwartz was co-author with Wall on the first edition of "Programming perl". He is not a co-author on current edition. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl / http://www.answers.com/topic/randal-l-schwartz http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pperl3 / -jiw
James Waldby wrote:

Thanks for the correction - I seem to recall that now. Now I'm surprised he was working with Intel. He wasn't a programmer of sorts - but an operator of sorts. Quote: "Randal L. Schwarz is an eclectic tradesman and entrepreneur, making his living through software design, technical writing, system administration, security consultation and video production." I suppose he could program and use computers from some of the jobs he held.
Martin
--
Martin Eastburn
snipped-for-privacy@otherwhitemeat.org writes:

Joe, nano, and pico are all good editors, with basically no learning curve (unlike those two "other" editors). Any linux system will have at least one of them. Nano is a clone of pico, with some extra features.
Try mutt or pine for email-- some people prefer one, some prefer the other. In either case, you have to tweak the configuration files to get the most out of them. Both are free, but pine may have to be downloaded separately due to a restriction in the license. The pico editor is part of the pine distribution.
Look at tin or trn or slrn for newsgroups. These may be non-intuitive if you're used to a GUI newsreader, so read the man pages first. Again, you'll probably want to tweak the configuration files, but once you're set up you'll never look back.
Whatever you run, stuff as much RAM in the box as you can afford, it can make a big difference (excess RAM is used as disk cache).
I've run KDE on machines as slow as 350Mhz, but for email and newsgroups you don't really need a GUI. Some people even use lynx for web surfing (text-only browser).
TheAlligator wrote:

There is a Firefox for Linux. Go here <http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ it's an 8.2MB tarball.
Gunner wrote:

Gunner i Hope you think about Novel SuSe Linux 9.x series it works nicely for me. Available at Best Buys As for your newsgroup reader I Like thunderbird myself Bit tricky to install for new guy on the system but you get a nice reader. and it has spam filters and handles Email as well. set up is a breeze.
I sword off mandrake after version 8.2. Mandrake is now mandriva and I still wonder why they have to change their names.
If you do not like SuSe try Redhat's fedora core linux it is the most like mandrake.
TSS
I have always been a user of Redhat/Fedora Core and I am generally pleased. I even run that stuff on my linux laptop, works great.