OT--Need help--In the middle of installing XP Pro, the keyboard stops working

I have a Pentium 3 600mhz PC that I have installed XP Pro on many many times, and recently I have had an issue with XP not installing properly.

I installed a different (40 gig) hard drive, and formatted it, and get the XP install procedure going, and the keyboard stops working right before it asks you to enter your name and organization. Obviously you can't proceed without entering this.

I replaced the keyboard, three times, and I know it's not likely to be hardware related, because I installed Mandrake Linux and Slackware Linux and everything works fine.

I have three backup copies of Windows XP on CD, and I've tried all of them with the same results, so it isn't the CD media failing...

I'm lost here.

This all started because XP failed to boot for me on my original 27 gig hard drive, stopping at the light blue windows XP screen just before it shows the user login icons, and I absolutely have to get the data off that hard drive. It has been disconnected until I get XP on the other 40 gig drive.

Best regards,

Matt Schroeder snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Matt Schroeder

Maybe it's a sign.

:-)

and on a different note, if us uzers can supposedly force SW to use the Windows installer, why the hell can't they port the damn thing to Linux?

then Matt would be able to use his keyboard.

-nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.