SW2003 SP4, XP Pro and Stability (lack of)

Okay Boys and Girls

I know most of you are probably cavorting happily (?) in the land of 2004, but I have a question regarding XP Pro hotfixes, and their effect on SWX stability (completely hosed) specifically 2003, but also 2004 (oh look...as I write this a rendering in 2004 has just given me an application / memory access error...grr).

I'm running:

2003 SP4 (2004 SP0 dual install) Win XP Pro (all the latest security fixes) Athlon XP2600+ 1024MB Leadtek K17NCR18GM mobo 3DLabs VP560 ( drv 3.1.535.0) 80GB HDD blah blah

The system was running fine (with the odd glitch in SWX and Q3A) until Thursday evening, when I decided that it would be a good idea to get the latest windows hotfixes (Windows Update).

After doing the major security fixes I started to experience complete machine hangs (i.e. mouse and keyboard locked, no means of warm reboot, so rip the cable out of the back), typically when opening a new sketch, or editing an existing one.

Today, I thought that it would be an even better idea to get the remaining fixes (DX9 and something else that I can't remember) and dutifully sat there for 45mins doing that (dial up modem). I'm now suffering from render crashes and lockups in Solidworks and also when surfing...

Have any of you experienced anything like this, and if so what have you done about it (other than throwing a tantrum after the 20th crash)?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

This type of thing used to be very common when we ran on IBM AIX Unix boxes running applications like Patran. We learned to not upgrade the OS with every hotfix that came along until experience and testing showed a stable combination of application software and OS. Perhaps you should firewall off your SW box so security is not an issue and use another machine to access the internet.

I also thought XP has a way to rollback from fixes and upgrades? Does that not work for security hotfixes.?

Chris wrote:

Reply to
kellnerp

Reply to
bill allemann

hmmm. I've got all the latest windows updates, and I'm doing fine on both versions. You said you were rendering? PW2? That might be the problem. Also, As great as those Wildcat cards are supposed to be, I hear a lot of people having problems with them with SW. The 560 is green on the SW video card page, but only for driver 3.01.0450. If you run out of stuff to try, you might try to install the older driver. Another thing to check is to see if you got over-zealous with your virtual memory. Don't set your VM to

2 or 3 GB just because you think more is better. Windows can only handle so much memory, if you set it too high, it can actually cause crashes.

good luck.

matt.

"Chris" wrote in news:bl4u1m$old$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

Reply to
matt

Thanks Guys.

I'll do the simplest thing and reload the 450 driver (hellooo Alias PLE issues...). If that doesn't work, I'll start removing hotfixes...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Actually, the 450 driver didn't change anything, but all improved when my partner swiped my Intellimouse Explorer for her laptop and I was left slumming it withe the Wacom pad...

I've upgraded to the latest Intellipoint software and stability is back.

But, and a headsup for thoise of you who have one and use the two side buttons for view manipulation, you can no longer assign and to the buttons. Nor can you slect certain programs to ignore autoscroll...

Aaaaarrrggh

Reply to
Chris

Hello Chris-

I've got all the latest Windows and Office 2000 updates. My system is very stable.

SW2003 SP4 XP Pro

2.4 533 FSB P4 2GB DDR 400 Ram Page File = 2990 Office 2000 SBE

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Controls, Services, and set to "Manual" most unneeded services.

"Defragged" your hard drive lately?

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

[...]

Devon T. Sowell

I'm using the latest Intellipoint 4.x drivers on Win XP Pro and I can change the side buttons to ctrl, shift, alt or whatever and I still have the ability to add programs to ignore under "Wheel> Wheel Troubleshooter>

Advanced". I would double check your installation.

Dave H

autoscroll...

Reply to
Dave H

Latest driver is... (drum roll)

5.0.174.0

and it sucks...

Reply to
Chris

Yup..... upgraded to 5.0 and immediatly un-installed and went back to 4.0. I hope you have a 4.0 version to install.

Dave H

Reply to
Dave H

Unfortunately, that results in a 50/50 reboot gamble when editing sketches, whereas I am down to 1 crash every 4-5 renderings at the moment..

(mutter mutter mutter)

Reply to
Chris