XP Pro - opening files

I posted this on the group on the SW site , but no joy!

We are using Windows XP pro, when I am opening a file in SW and decide to veiw only parts or assemblies or drawings, by changing the file type veiw, it takes an age for the files to appear. the quick way to refresh the window is move back a directory and back in again, and hey presto, the files are visable. This did not happen on Win NT and does not happen in any other programs, such as office products and autocad.

thought i would ask here before i have the normal argument with my VAR, where they tell me its not solidworks, its windows.

Thanks in anticipation

Graeme Robinson

Reply to
Rob

Graeme

If "Show thumbnail graphics in Windows Explorer" is switched on, under Tools/Options/System Options/General, things can really slow down even in SolidWorks "Open" and "Save" dialogs

I forget exactly what you have to do before switching it off takes effect: you certainly have to quit SolidWorks, and maybe Shutdown Windows.

I'm not sure if this is what you are experiencing, but could be worth looking at.

Reply to
Andrew Troup

snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com (Rob) wrote in news:9f39c44f.0312090001.64322266 @posting.google.com:

I agree, same problem here in winxp reading files from a win2k server. This type of delay did not occur when I used win2k on my machine.... I've been blaming our network. But know I will rethink that. :)

Zander

Reply to
Zander

yeah youre right andrew, but showing thumbnails comes in very handy when looking for a particular shaped part in a directory of 5000 parts.

When i used NT i showed thumbnails, and i also had a slower pc, was just wondering why the conflict exists with SW and XP.

If its just me having the probs then its all well and good! but Im sure I cannot be alone?

Regards

Graeme

Reply to
Rob

No problems here, running win xp pro, sp 1.0, swx 2003 sp5. Didnt notice any problems in sp4 or sp3. I have xp home at home, and am on 2004 sp0.0, and no problems. I do have display thumbnails active. sw-pw-man

Reply to
sw-pw-man

You can also set Your Windows Explorer to "view thumbnails" and You'll see previews of all Your SW parts, assys and drawings if You're in W2K or XP

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L