Machine performance

Pro Engineer Performance

We have a situation here that needs input from other users. The issue is machine performance.

The machine in question is a brand X type machine and not sold by any current vendors like (DELL), (SUN). It is a Pentium 1.7 Processor with an NVIDIA graphic card with Windows XP. We use Pro Engineer 2001 with Pro Intralink 3.2. The project this machine is used with requires no Intralink connection. They just launch Pro-E with no workspace.

The problem occurs when they are retrieving files across the network. According to the user it was much faster in the past. The issue started when they replaced the mapped drive, because of failure and now the download across the network work is really slow on just two machines.

I have benchmarked the machine off line to get some performance data. It still works quite well for an older machine. I also have tried some file transfers using another network and the file transfer was adequate and I didn't see performance issues.

I checked with PTC and found a tan on NT_CACHED_DIRS as a config option. It looks like this is not the issue at this time.

So I need your help, if anyone has experienced this in the past please enlighten me.

Cmoore/Admin

Reply to
cmoore

: The problem occurs when they are retrieving files across the network.

Can't tell, from what you've said, if it's Pro/e or the network. Does the same performance degradation exist when simply using Explorer to copy files from the mapped drive to a local directory? When the files have been copied across, does Pro/e exhibit the same sluggish performance? It'd help if you could narrow it down.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

We had the same problem a couple of years back. What is the speed of your host machine storing your pro-e models? We finally determined our host was the slow link and upgraded it to a faster pc and now the whole system runs better. Hope this helps...

Robert L. Alexander Sauder Woodworking Co. Ph. 419.446.3221 Fx. 419.446.4978

Reply to
Bob Alexander

David:

When we open up certain folders, in explore, the flashlight comes on and it hunts for the files. If you setup a shortcut to the folder in question they come up ok in explore. If we swap out machines at this connection and a different user logs on they come across ok. IT has two machine that act this way on the network. You can move the machines to other connections and have that user log in and the same problem exists. All of the other users are not seeing this issue. I think it's a profile issue, because it follows this user. I have bench tested this machine off the network and on the network under my profile and it works ok. IT seems to think it is a Proe issue and I am having a difficult time in convincing them otherwise.

Clyde...

Reply to
cmoore

My recollection is a bit foggy, but here goes...

I had a problem with Wn 2K on a Win NT and Win 2K server network with Active Directory enabled. Seems that I had too may 'mapped drives' to network shares, (Drive Letters G,P,S,T,U,V).

Until the OS 'indexed' all of the mapped drives, the file open, file save, etc... windows were slow to open and refresh.

Check out the MS Knowledge base for more info. As I recall, The options were to not map so many network drives, and/or turn off active directory.

cmoore wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell

You might want to consider using samba 3.0 for windows networking:

from

the microsoft ad) " Samba 3's scalability is as impressive as its performance. While Windows performance scales up well initially, it then drops off quickly as more clients access the server. In contrast, Samba 3 offered excellent throughput up to the limit of our test, conducted on a low-spec Intel server."

wzzl

Chris Gosnell wrote:

Reply to
stinky wizzleteet

Another thing that might convince IT is to take the Pro/e, running under the misbehaving configuration, and restore it to its default, virgin condition ~ pretty simple to do, actually. Just rename any local config.pro files, located in or off of the shortcut's 'Start in' directory, to config.bak. This will force it to load all the defaults which is probably how it loaded when first installed. You can do no more with Pro/e.

More likely source of the problem is that some system service got shut off when the first drive was failing. System Restore and restoring to a point before some trouble started, has saved me more than once when something got inadvertently changed that caused some misbehavior. Or you could start poking around in Services. It's risky and I'm not even sure how configurable it is by user. But you could at least compare your set up with that of the user who's system is acting strangely. Then you could start checking things like are the files systems compatible (FAT32 vs NTFS) and other stuff which is basically the job that your IT department is reluctant to do. I guess that the most dramatic thing you could to to convince them it's not Pro/e is to fix the problem for them. Then write a nice report about it to one of the VPs.

David Janes

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Recently had a similar situation with us. What solved it for me was re-writing my search.pro file, and pointing the search paths to a fully resolved network location, and NOT to a mapped drive. The result are day and night. If your users are searching inside mapped drives, then give this a spin.

Regards Jan

Chris Gosnell wrote:

Reply to
Lesley Badenhorst