FX500 performance

I took advantage of the $185 VAR offer for the FX500 and just upgraded my PC from an Elsa Gloria II that has been my graphics board for the past three years. The PC has a Pentium III 866mz with 750Mb, so I wasn't expecting any miracles, but I'm not impressed by the improvement in graphics performance. On my 300 part assemblies (no swoopies) I'm still seeing staccato spins and juddery zooms, maybe a little less than before, but still there. The Realview graphics are pretty, but I keep it switched off during design.

Am I expecting too much, or is the performance just not that much better than the Gloria II? If I go to a 3mz Pentium 4 (or AMD equivalent) with 1G, will I see better GRAPHICS performance?

bp DVC Co.

Reply to
Brian Park

Do you have to latest drivers from the nvidia website?

Scott

performance.

Reply to
Scott

Yes bp

Reply to
Brian Park

First, take a look to make sure Use Software OpenGL is not enabled. (I am pretty sure this is not your problem since you can get realview to work)

I would bet a cpu (and corresponding motherboard and memory) upgrade could really help. CPU speed does have an effect on graphics performance, even with today's 'hardware accelerated' video cards.

Reply to
Arlin

At this point I'm using a new machine that still has the FX500 card in it. No problems here, but this is also a 3.0Ghz machine.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I've got the FX500 on a 2.66MHz machine straight from Dell. I kept the video driver that was installed (was thinking of going to 43.51 or

53.03 but so far everything is great). Straight outta the box this thing has been cranking on SW with big assy's.
Reply to
pope

performance.

Are you running in wireframe or with the edges showing in shaded mode? I was told a long time ago that the edges are calculated by the CPU, not by the graphics card. That may not be true any longer, but if it is, that might explain your results.

I've got a Quadro 750, which should be roughly equivalent to your FX500, and an Athlon 2800+ and models spin nicely with or without edges shown.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Thanks for the feedback fellows - It's probably the 2X AGP Slot that kills the dog. Next up, a new motherboard and CPU!

bp

Reply to
Brian Park

Brian,

Not all is in the graphics adaptor itself. The efficiency/bandwidth/ latency of the AGP interface contributes a LOT to how the card per- forms. Early 8x AGP implementations left MUCH to be desired, and running on a 4x AGP mainboard will effectively cripple the FX500.

Consider a newer 8x AGP mainboard (preferably with dual-channel memory). Also ensure that ALL traces of older graphics drivers are purged from your current system AND anti-virus software tempor- arily disabled before loading the appropriate nVidia or Leadtek driver.

Upgrading DirectX to the latest version is also advantageous to get the best out of the latest nVidia drivers. There has been some dis- cussion on this NG recently on this topic.

HTH,

Rick.

Reply to
R.H. (Rick) Mason