parallel port

I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is
for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the office, not at the control.
Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron MZN78-LA.
I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.
FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.
Any suggestions?
Karl

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.
jsw
Jim Wilkins Inscribed thus:

I'm afraid I must agree with Jim ! I have a pp dongle that insists on LPT1 3BCh IRQ7. Interesting that most pp printers use LPT2 or 3 on 278/378.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.
On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:29:51 +0100, Baron wrote:

The M2N78-LA Pegatron MB has 3 PCI-Express-1 ports as well as a full-length PCI port. Cards like at next URL will plug in to the short slots, but does his HP computer have back panel openings to match? Also, Karl said MZN78-LA Pegatron but only M2N78-LA's show up in cursory google.
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
--
jiw

On Mon, 30 May 2011 16:16:33 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby

Thanks for the advice. sorry about the typo on the MoBo. First mistake I ever made. <VBG>
James Waldby Inscribed thus:

<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Thats a good find ! As far as I know it should fit. The rear panel has breakout openings for each of the mainboard slots, and that card comes with mini and full hight slot mounts.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Snap a picture of the board in the case. If it has ANY PCI slots there may be room for a sideways 3 slot card. Or just pick up a cheap PC from Tiger Direct as a spare.
Bob La Londe wrote:

Pulled up a pic of his mobo on the HP website , it has 3 of the small PCI-E slots , and one big'un , the board someone else found hould work just fine .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

The only real suggestion is to get a different motherboard. You also need to be careful about proper EPP support. I went through this. There are cards that support EPP and there are cards that do not (but they still kind of "work", creating all sorts of trouble).

Probably won't work with the dongle.

CNC presents special real time requirements that are unlikely to be met by a parallel to USB dongle.
I need an IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port for my CNC controller. It is bi-directional and programmable. If the Dongle is running a processor it might just want to talk.
If you have a board in the one slot - you might be able to get a dual function board as a replacement.
Martin
On 5/30/2011 8:54 PM, Ignoramus17069 wrote:

Ignoramus17069 wrote:

He's not using this for CNC control, it's for the security dongle to his CNC software that he wants to run on his office PC to try the new version, not to control a machine. This dongle hassle is something you don't have if you run Mach3 or EMC2.

Wow, I feel privileged, I do not need a dongle!

I would bot expect a USB parallel adapter to work with a hasp dongle because their drivers expect the port to be at a "normal" LPT address. The same goes for PCI express parallel ports. What you may be able to do is free up the existing PCI slot by replacing whatever's plugged into it with a PCI ex[ress equivalent, and putting a parallel port into the (now emty) PCI slot.
This makes a real good case for boycotting dongle-laden software.
On Mon, 30 May 2011 18:15:21 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

shoot. I already ordered a PCI express card. I know the USB adapeter route won't work. Does the express card not use the IRQ and address like a regular LPT port?
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

Ought to. But God is in the details.
But if it winds up sharing an interrupt with a USB device, it's going to be choppy...
--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
On 5/30/2011 8:36 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

You don't say anything about a "printer" port. That's probably what the dongle wants to plug into. Do you have a female DB on the back panel, like this?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/Parallel_computer_printer_port.jpg
If not, you're probably stuck with the USB adaptor.
Good Luck! Rich