parallel port

I'm needing a parallel port in this computer to hold the hasp or dongle for my CNC control software. The last upgrade from Camsoft is for improved operator interface layout tools. I'd like to learn in the office, not at the control.

Its a hp computer model e9105z with this motherboard: Pegatron MZN78-LA.

I went to the HP site and was advised to get this part for the parallel port: HP Parallel Port Adapter Parallel adapter kd061aa. We went to install it and there is no place to plug it in to the mother board. Must be missing something, we looked EVERYWHERE.

FWIW, there are no free PCI slots, only one in this box.

Any suggestions?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You could try a USB-parallel adapter, but if the dongle expects to find the port at its BIOS I/O address you may be SOL.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins Inscribed thus:

I'm afraid I must agree with Jim ! I have a pp dongle that insists on LPT1 3BCh IRQ7. Interesting that most pp printers use LPT2 or 3 on

278/378.
Reply to
Baron

The M2N78-LA Pegatron MB has 3 PCI-Express-1 ports as well as a full-length PCI port. Cards like at next URL will plug in to the short slots, but does his HP computer have back panel openings to match? Also, Karl said MZN78-LA Pegatron but only M2N78-LA's show up in cursory google.

Reply to
James Waldby

Thanks for the advice. sorry about the typo on the MoBo. First mistake I ever made.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

James Waldby Inscribed thus:

Thats a good find ! As far as I know it should fit. The rear panel has breakout openings for each of the mainboard slots, and that card comes with mini and full hight slot mounts.

Reply to
Baron

Snap a picture of the board in the case. If it has ANY PCI slots there may be room for a sideways 3 slot card. Or just pick up a cheap PC from Tiger Direct as a spare.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The only real suggestion is to get a different motherboard. You also need to be careful about proper EPP support. I went through this. There are cards that support EPP and there are cards that do not (but they still kind of "work", creating all sorts of trouble).

Ignoramus17069

nner Asch- Hide quoted text -

Probably won't work with the dongle.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I would bot expect a USB parallel adapter to work with a hasp dongle because their drivers expect the port to be at a "normal" LPT address. The same goes for PCI express parallel ports. What you may be able to do is free up the existing PCI slot by replacing whatever's plugged into it with a PCI ex[ress equivalent, and putting a parallel port into the (now emty) PCI slot.

This makes a real good case for boycotting dongle-laden software.

Reply to
rangerssuck

shoot. I already ordered a PCI express card. I know the USB adapeter route won't work. Does the express card not use the IRQ and address like a regular LPT port?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

CNC presents special real time requirements that are unlikely to be met by a parallel to USB dongle.

Ignoramus17069

You don't say anything about a "printer" port. That's probably what the dongle wants to plug into. Do you have a female DB on the back panel, like this?

If not, you're probably stuck with the USB adaptor.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Pulled up a pic of his mobo on the HP website , it has 3 of the small PCI-E slots , and one big'un , the board someone else found hould work just fine .

Reply to
Snag

Ought to. But God is in the details.

But if it winds up sharing an interrupt with a USB device, it's going to be choppy...

Reply to
CaveLamb

I need an IEEE 1284 compliant parallel port for my CNC controller. It is bi-directional and programmable. If the Dongle is running a processor it might just want to talk.

If you have a board in the one slot - you might be able to get a dual function board as a replacement.

Mart> >>> On Mon, 30 May 2011 08:55:59 -0500, Karl Townsend

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

That should work. It will likely be plug and play and will have it's own bios that boots in real time.

If not would use the exist> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

He's not using this for CNC control, it's for the security dongle to his CNC software that he wants to run on his office PC to try the new version, not to control a machine. This dongle hassle is something you don't have if you run Mach3 or EMC2.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wow, I feel privileged, I do not need a dongle!

Reply to
Ignoramus17069