Parallel Port interface

Hi Cananyone help with this
I got a usb to parallel port lead but i cant send data to the pins using the normal methods, can any one suggest how to access .
Thanks
Roger wrote:

What operating system on the PC? (I assume you mean you have a PC.) Do you have an appropriate driver loaded? If you're using Linux, you may need to load a kernel module suited to the chipset of the adapter. I guess that Windows drivers would have come with the device.
You might want to test your setup by putting a parallel printer on it (which I assume is what the device was designed for) and going through the setup procedure for that. If the printer behaves, you know at least that the hardware's OK.
Cheers
Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy, South Australia
Thanks for the comments
Os is win XP
I dont have printer that will plug into the parallel port all printers USB windows installed the device but i have read someware that usb emulates the port so its software driven so you dont actulay see LPT port
So maybe its not possaible at all
I am still looking to be sure as it really mess up my plans :(
Thanks again

Roger wrote:

printers USB

emulates the

WindowsXP will not allow you to directly access the parallel port.
There are web sites on this topic for example,
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html
What were your plans?
http://www.lvr.com/usbc.htm
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:53:31 +0000 (UTC), "Roger"

The USB/parallel port adapters only work with print drivers. You can't do the usual bit bang I/O stuff with them. There are other usb/serial setups that have 8 bit output that might be able to do what you need.

I've tried using these myself. Was only able to get them to work for printers , nothing else.
Hi,
There are three or four methods: SPP, ECP, EPP and BIdirectional. Visit www.beyondlogic.org and look legacy ports.
Nitron

Yea i have looked there The problem is though as the parallel port is via usb it does not seem that yu can control the pins. Maybe i am missing the point
Roger

Roger wrote:

I have not worked with a USB-to-parallel adapter, but the ptroblem may be in the limitations of the driver. The adapter is emulating a parallel port, and I know some of these cannot be used with things like parallel port dongles and parallel port Iomega drives.
What may be easier and more direct is a USB parallel FIFO module, which is made for converting a USB port to an 8-bit (or more) general purpose I/O port. These are actually better than parallel ports because they're faster, all of the pins can be used for I/O, the USB drivers work across all versions of Windows that support USB, and the pins output 5v TTL signals. (Many parallel ports now output only 3.3 volts, so you need some opto-isolation, level-shifting, or some other technique to drive TTL circuits.)
A number of Web sites offer these modules, and price is in the $25 to $35 range. Here's one example:
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionIN.html
Note the second item, an 8-bit version. If you need more pins you can either purchase additional modules, or get one with more I/O. Most of these modules are programmed using Win32 calls, so QBasic is out. You need VB or some other programming language that supports Windows API calls. You might consider Visual Basic.NET 2005 Express, now in beta. It's free, and last I heard, will continue to be when it's fully released. At the very least you can download the VB compiler, which is also free. (Use Notepad to write your programs.)
-- Gordon

Go and try using a usb to parallel port adaptor (the cheap ones ) for anything other than a printer then come back here and post what you have achieved.
You have never tried to use one obviously!
Great for printers but useless with anything that needs a proper parallel port! especially chip , eeprom programmers , jatg etc
As Gordon suggested one of the usb modules like http://www.dontronics.com/dlp.html#2232 http://www.futurlec.com/USB.shtml
this type works great , I used both the ones Don sells and the ones from futurlec.
Alex
Roger wrote:

can you give a URL to some technical data?