SCSI Interface and Parallel port

I have a question about a scanner of mine. It is a ScanPlus III 300 scanner, and according to the online manual, it has a SCSI interface
with a SCSI card included, but looking at the scanner, it appears to have a parallel port interface(right number of pins), including a connector with a printer symbol, presumably for sharing the parallel port. Can anyone explain this seeming contradiction?
Here is the link to the manual.
http://www.gtcocalcomp.com/CalCompfiles/sp3hdwm.pdf (875 KB)
snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu says...

The PDF is almost unreadable (I took a brief look), and I don't know that scanner, but a 25 pin SCSI port and standard parallel port look identical (and both scsi cable and printer cable will fit either (but one will not work in the other, of course).
Mac
Thanks for your help. It appears it is a 25-pin SCSI connector, and the printer connection may be for printing directly from the scanner.
The printer output is for general use, not just printing from the scanner.. It is usual to run the printer and the scanner off the same port.

Don't know your scanner, but my old (and reliable) Agfa Snapscan 310 uses a "loop-thru" parallel port which then goes on to my printer. However in Device Manager (Win98SE) , there is an entry for Agfa EPPSCSI Miniport driver, under the SCSI Controllers section. "Refreshing" this entry helps to wake my scanner connection from slumber.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK
On 8 Sep 2003 22:43:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu wrote:

According to your manual (link above), the Interface is a SCSI and is probably a 25 pin D connector.
The following information applies to PCs only.
Now the bad part I got from a quick scan of the manual, the orignial SCSI card was a 8 or 16 bit ISA card, that will not work in any computer made in the last 3 to 5 years. Computers today do not have ISA slots any more. But, you can get a PCI SCSI card that will work. I know of at least two cards that may work.
1. Adaptec 2906 $65 USD + shipping. You may find them cheaper on Pricewatch.com.
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AVA-2906&cat=%2fTechnology%2fSCSI%2fSCSI+Connections+for+PCs
2. Benq Scsi Card. $19 USD + shipping. http://store.yahoo.com/benqshopper/imscanprin.html Scroll down to see it. There is also a Scsi cable, but it is only 3 ft. long, I think it is too short. Belkin makes a good 6 ft. scsi cable. The Belkin Number is "F2A047-06" it is labeled as a IEEE 1284 A-A Switchbox cable DB25 Male/Male Parallel.
Get the Scsi driver software for the Benq Card at: http://www.benq.com/drivers/imaging_drivers.html Download any of the Acard SCSI Driver links.
I hope you have the scanner driver software!
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com