USB - Parallel port ATMEL flash uc programmer

hey guys, i recently wanted to program an atmel 89s52 uc, so i sifted through my electronic junk and found one i had built in college.
However this one was to be used with a parallel port and my new laptop doesn't have one. i am thinking of buying (or better still, building) a usb to parallel converter. However i'm not sure whether the software( aec software NZ's programmer) which worked in DOS can be used in winXP with the usb driver. Any suggestions are welcome.(i'm ready to build a serial port version if that can make life a bit easier!)
Tuscan wrote:

Software that uses a parallel port has direct access to the hardware.
USB does not.
The DOS/WIN software will _NOT_ work with any USB device.
donald
the usb to parallel port converter emulates a parallel port(lpt1) in windows XP. windows xp runs DOS programs(having direct port access) in a special virtual mode. What is not clear is whether a call such as outport(888,'a');(in turbo c) when made under winXP will be properly directed to the usb-parallel converter's driver which will set/clear required pins on the physical db25 cparallel connector.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which make and model do you think does this.
I will buy one today if this is really true.
Thanks
Donald