What is it? Set 506

I need some help with the fifth one this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

2947 - A tap for a wine barrel 2949 - Pipe thread cleaner 2950 - Big ass bullet 2951 - Tubing bender
Reply to
Larry

"Rob H." <

2952 Fire Dept. entry tool.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

2951 Tubing Bender
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

2947- saw the wine tap answer

2948- want to say for lapping valves, but don't see how it would attach to the valve.

2949- used to attach a drop cable (if that's the correct word) to a live powerline, the eye turns and tightens the clamp.

2950-

2951- yeah, tubing bender, but what's the special purpose?

2952- not sure if a fireman's tool as mentioned or a general purpose demolition bar.

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

YES! It's a valve grinding tool! I've seen them in use. That effector end is not the one that belongs on there.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com fired this volley in news:068e9ad8-74f4-4312-8b38- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Same sized tube, two radii. I'd assume for refrigeration repair, for evaporator coil end-turns.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I think this is correct but haven't found proof yet

Could be...

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

You're on the right track here

Yes

I think this is most likely right

Reply to
Rob H.

corkscrew (unless the image was flipped... then right handed) Maybe for relieving gas from a barrel? Or installing a tap?

Yes, I flipped it, didn't think about the fact it would change the threads in the image.

like bronze bronze

As mentioned previously, these are probably right

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

The web site for this tool says it's for military and law enforcement but I would agree it could be for fire departments also.

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always (for all you seeing this in other newsgroups).

2947) Looks like a tap for an old wooden beer keg.

Is the photo reversed, or is that a left-handed thread on it?

2948) The shape and the behavior suggest that it is a tool for lapping automotive engine valves into the head. You put some valve grinding compound under the lip of the valve, with a light spring under it, crank for a while, pull back to let the compound run back in, and repeat until you get a full seal surface.

I think that you had another of these some time back.

2949) The eye looks a bit thin for hanging it by, so I think that it is to clamp the moving part onto a rod going through the 'V'.

The cross bolt is to attach it to some larger structure.

But exactly what is being built with the clamped rods I don't know.

2950) Looks like the projectile part of a round for perhaps a howitzer. If that 4-1/2" is precise, that would make it just below 115mm -- but I think that 110 mm is a more standard size for such, which would be about 4.330", or 4-21/64".

The hollow base would likely be stuffed with an explosive charge and some delay fuse.

2951) This tool is for bending either tubing, or wire of a given diameter, and to form either of two different radiuses.

I think the groove in the larger one is a bit wider, appropriate for a larger diameter tubing. Not always used for a full 180 degree bend, but that would be the maximum, and probably a 90 degree bend would be more common.

Since it appears to be bronze, not steel, it is probably for use around flamable gasses -- Hydrogen, or others.

2962) This looks like a tool for deconstructing (destroying) wood frame buildings, or partially so -- such as removing interior walls during remodeling.

Perhaps a tool for use by firefighters, as you have frequent things related to that field.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2950: The M256 is a smoothbore gun used on the US M1 and M1A1 tanks. The bore is 4.7". It's a version of the German Rheinmetall L/44, meaning the barrel is 44 calibers long. I wonder if this could be a practice round, dug out of a berm at a target range.
Reply to
The Other J Burns

2948 is indeed for lapping valves. I have one. Mine has a suction cup at the end. It's hard to tell what's on the end of the one shown. I also have one of the item 2949. Found it at the base of a power pole at my house. I called the power folks but they never came by to pick it up. 25 years later they DID come by to pick up one of those long fiberglass poles they use for handling hot wires. The guy who picked it up said that the tool was VERY expensive. ERic
Reply to
etpm

Well, maybe it's not useful for firemen, I just thought it could be used to smash or pry open stuck doors and windows, looks like a general purpose rescue tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

Oh it's a very useful tool for firefighting! It's called a Halligan Bar...

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Good eye, you're right about it being reversed, I'll have to stop doing that with threaded items.

Valve lapping tool is correct.

I really can't say how accurate the measurement is, someone sent me the photos and dimensions.

The owner said it was made of brass, and the seller thought it was a spring winder, though I would bet on tube bender.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know much about this one so I sent the photos to a person who runs a military blog, hopefully he will provide a good reference for it.

Reply to
Rob H.

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's a grounding clamp, for earthing (potentially) live wires before working on them.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Just took a closer look at the web site, they say it was "designed by the Swedish Hostage Rescue Team to improve and increase the breaching and entry options used by law enforcement and military agencies." So it looks like you are correct about it not being for firemen. It's available here:

Rob H.