What is it? Set 434

I need some help with the second and fifth items in this week's set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Chrome Eagle Ornament for the front fender of a bike? Might be a aftermarket part.

thanks for the interesting blog

Walter

Am 29.03.2012 10:06, schrieb Rob H.:

Reply to
Walter Kraft

2518 Precursor to the laser plumb-bob
Reply to
Under The Bridge
2515 While this looks like a decorative hood-ornament, I'd like to think this is a bottle-opener... But... I can't see how it would work to remove a standard crown seal. I still guess it is mounted somewhere and used to open something.

2519 Slap Hammer. Old. I have a secondary problem, for those of you who are skilled at forging or smithery: How was it made?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

"Rob H." fired this volley in news:jl155702pn2 @news7.newsguy.com:

2517 is a simple stepped gauge for measuring or inspecting bored work. Each step would have been marked with a size so the item being inspected could be marked (say) "1.010-1.019", or "1.020-1.039", etc.

The bore in the center may or may not be a measuring hole. It could be there simply to lighten the work, as are many of the step gauges I have.

2518 is boat lamp made to look like a surveyor's plumb bob. 2519 OLD combination slide hammer/dollying hammer; for sheet metal work. 2520 Looks designed to be stuffed full of something like hay or cotton lint or wool. It _sort_of_ looks like a trap for something about the size of a muskrat, but has a lot of shortcomings for that application.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
2518 is a Plumb Bob for use in a mine.

Crazy Ed

Reply to
Edward Erbeck
2515 looks like a hood ornament for something 2516 barrel hole (bung) expander 2517 barrel from a small cannon 2518 I was thinking plumb bob, until I saw the wick. More likely an indoor lamp. 2519 a hammer with a cancerous thyroid. Lot of them after Chernobyl nuclear power plant accident. 2520 either a medeival toilet paper holder, or a crawfish trap. Some what like a lobstah pot from Maine.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here are my "guesses":

2519 - The one matching the one labeled 'C'

2518 - Plumb bob for use in the dark

2519 - Black smith tool for flattening or surfacing heavy metal (non-musical).

2520 - Animal trap (beaver?)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Fender ornament on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Reply to
Don Piven

Yup , a friend of mine has one just like that on his Harley . The eyes light up ...

Reply to
Snag

Now only $15.95!

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

2515 - Eagle Head fender ornament.

2516 - Bung expander.

2517 - Bore gauge - Each step would be a different size to show the size of a hole.

2518 - Plummet Lamp ( plump bob used in dark areas like tunnels )

2519 - Very old tinsmiths hammer.The sliding weight can be used to drive the handle and pierce metal.

2520 - Birth control device ????

Reply to
Steve W.

?

Animal trap is correct, not sure exactly what kind.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob, I'm sorry for being cryptic. Since it had an 'H' prominantly displaced on it, I thoought it had to half of a set of hot (H) and cold (C) water fixtures.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2515) This looks to me like a hood ornament -- though whether it came with the vehicle or was a third-party option, I don't know.

2516) This would appear to be a tool for splitting wood. Drill a hole in the wood just a little larger than the pilot on the end and then start screwing it in, expanding the wood around the hole, and eventually splitting it.

2517) This looks like a homebrew cannon -- minus the trunions for support and leveling, which could be made as part of a ring which could be shrink-fitted to the barrel.

The touchhole for the fuse is visible in the third view. The taper is to give greater strength at the end where the powder is detonated.

2518) Gimbal mounted and chain hung -- I think that it is likely to be a lamp for use in a boat.

I'm not sure why the hardened point, however.

2519) An early example of a slide-hammer, where the sliding ball (or usually cylinder) is used to impact force to the workpiece.

Is there a fork in the "claw" curved part? If so, it is for pulling nails or something similar (I guess that without a fork, it could be used for pulling staples.

Otherwise, it could be held with the left-hand end in contact with the workpiece, and held by the head, as the sliding ball drives the left-hand end into the workpiece.

2520) Looks like a trap of some sort. Given that the material appears to be iron or steel, probably not a fish or eel trap, but more likely for something of the size of a squirrel or just a little larger. It can climb in squeezing past the curve of the hooks, but when it tries to exit, it can't get past them.

Now to post this and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

I agree with the hood ornament -- or as someone else said, possibly for a motorcycle or even a bicycle fender.

I am not skilled (actually, never done it), but at a guess, it was made by forge welding two parts of the shaft together -- at a guess, at one of the two places where the diameter increases to stop the weight/ball's travel. I think the left-hand one, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Now I get it! The eagle originally had H D on it but I shopped off the D since it seemed too easy.

Reply to
Rob H.

2516: reamer
Reply to
Zz Yzx

Not totally sure about the two mystery items but the others have been correctly identified, the answers have been posted here:

Rob H.

"Rob H." fired this volley in news:jl58rc02ck0 @news7.newsguy.com:

I'm not good with 2520, Rob. As I mentioned in my guesses, unless your goal is to lay the thing down on an ant hill after you catch the critter, there's no visible way to get anything OUT of it! I was even hoping to see that the rivet holes were slotted to permit moving an end ring far enough in to release the hooked rails. But there's no evidence of that, either in the hooked rails or the rings.

I'm guessing it's more likely something to trap a wad of meat or other comestible for bait, making it impossible for the baited creature to remove the contents.

I will admit, the first thing I thought is "one-way trap!", but it's not a workable design.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh