1 inch impact and 1/2 inch compressed air piping

In a certain surplus deal, I acquired four trailer+pickup truck/loads
of various surplus stuff, mostly electrical.
One item was a CP 1 inch impact wrench, which I really wanted due to
having two trucks and such.
The compressed air system in my building is based on 1/2" NPT pipe,
and I wonder if it is sufficient to run such a big impact wrench. Does
anyone have any relevant experience.
Ignoramus25729
42 years in the tire business. If your supply line is more than 50 feet long or has a bunch of turns, you need 3/4 or 1" pipe. You need 10 CFM @ 90 psi.
Reply to
aasberry
One thing I should have added. You can place a small storage tank inline near the impact to supply enough volume for short bursts.
Reply to
aasberry
Thanks. Sad, but, just what I was afraid off. I will not redo the entire air system, but probably will have to redo some part of it.
Ignoramus25729
Yes, good idea, thanks.
Reply to
Ignoramus25729
SNIP
Hey Iggy,
I was going to suggest what Andy has. I use one of the little 20 gallon "pigs" used to fill tires and such. Works a bit like a capacitor might if this was electrical. You will need a "T" fitting so you can feed air from the compressor line to the tank and feed to the tool at the same time. Just hook it to the air line closest to where you will run the big tool, and it will help a lot for that kind of operation. Not so good for constant blowing like spray-painting, but short burst works good.
Brian Lawson
Reply to
Brian Lawson
How far from the compressor to the gun? If less than 10 feet it should work. Any farther and you're going to need larger pipe. What I did was simple. The "normal" lines are all 1/2 " steel plumbed off a long run of 1" that acts as a manifold and water drain. Then for the big guns I ran a dedicated line of 1" out to the spot that the big guns get used.
Reply to
Steve W.
Much farther. I would say 100 feet distance.
Ignoramus20530
Yes, good idea. I think that I do not even need such volume. 10-20 gallons should do very nicely.
Ignoramus20530
For a quick temporary air supply, string another 1/2" air hose and cable-tie it to the existing run. When you get to the area you want to run the gun, tie the end of that hose into the new 3/4" pipe. It'll give you the extra capacity you need.
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.
Reply to
Larry Jaques
I'm guessing that heavy duty garden hose is not a wise choice?
.
For a quick temporary air supply, string another 1/2" air hose and cable-tie it to the existing run. When you get to the area you want to run the gun, tie the end of that hose into the new 3/4" pipe. It'll give you the extra capacity you need.
-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon
An impact wrench doesn't run for very long. Pick the location where you will use the wrench and add another air tank to the line at that location. Then you can connect the wrench to the tank.
Paul
Reply to
Paul Drahn
We had a 75' run of 1/2" pipe delivering air to the production side of the plant. We moved the compressors to the production side and ran 1" pipe on all the branches. That cut our compressor load in half! It used to be that a single air chisel or 1/2" impact over and above the normal load would run the system down to 50 psi. Now there's no drop with two or three air hogs running with the normal load. (I think every machine uses air.) I remember how hot that 1/2" pipe was, now the pipes are cool. We also installed a dryer and I couldn't be happier.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Yes, I have a dryer also, to be plumbed soon.
Ignoramus20530
What is your system pressure? The air flow and pipe will cause a pressure drop, if you're running 175 PSI, it will be more CFM at 90 PSI than it is at 175 PSI. So if in your line you get a 50 PSI pressure drop from the pipe, if you're running 90 PSI system pressure then it's going to be weak, if you're running 140+ PSI then you would be OK. Another thing to consider is a surge tank, since the impact isn't continuous you can have a closer tank to supply pressure to the gun for the surges.
RogerN
Reply to
RogerN
Here's a bunch of free Java flow calculators for pressure drop, volume, pipe diameter, etc., etc.
Ed Huntress
Consider tanks as large capacitors in an electronic circuit. Charge them up and they will supply current or air flow at a given pressure for a long time if enough storage is given.
Each tool that is active is simply a resistive element in parallel.
Martin
Reply to
Martin Eastburn
That's exactly right, and the air lines are like wires with resistance, the bigger the "wire", the less resistance.
Ignoramus20530
How can you have different "locals" in a carport? It must have come from the same company that built Les Nessman's office.
Reply to
ObviousQuestion