Cutting with an Idealarc 250

I have some heavy steel beams I'd like to cut for easier transport. I'd be cutting through about 24 lineal inches of 3/8 to 1/2 inch thick steel. Would that be a long job using a lot of consumables for an Idealarc 250 stick welder? I don't have an Oxyacetylene setup or a plasma cutter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reply to
ATP

It will work with wet 6011 rod, dip it in BUCKET often

Reply to
Ignoramus20530

i meant 6010

Reply to
Ignoramus20530

OK, I'll bite. How do you _cut_ with welding rod? I thought carbon rods were used for that. (arc gouging)

-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson, but Massah Ed, he doan tink it so.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Wet 6010 gives off so much gas and steam that it blows molten steel away.

Ignoramus20530

OK. Is it quicker and cleaner (yeah, right) than diamond or abrasive wheels in a saw or angle grinder?

I've never cut anything nearly that thick nor large.

-- The unexamined life is not worth living. --Socrates

Reply to
Larry Jaques

When I was first learning how to weld I tried using 1/8 6011 rod at

300 amps just to see what it would do. It burned right through 1/2 mild steel plate. The rod itself melted by the time it was about 1/2 the starting length. I never thought about dipping the rod into water. I bet that works great. Eric
Reply to
etpm

It leaves a very disgusting, jagged edge. But it works.

Ignoramus20530

Yes, cut a little, dip, cut some more, dip, etc.

Ignoramus20530

You'd want to use the angle grinder to clean up the edges so you don't rip yourself to shreds afterward, I reckon.

-- The unexamined life is not worth living. --Socrates

Reply to
Larry Jaques

if you're going to do this more than once get an air arc gun for your welder. i'd shop eBay for it. Blows through metal faster than a torch. You'll need an air compressor plus your welder. I scored one at an auction real cheap, most don't know what it is.

Karl Townsend

What's the cut quality like? Sounds like it would be pretty rough.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt