A neat trick!

I'm sure lots of you already know about this trick but I just figured
it out a couple days ago and thought I'd share it. So, you know how
sometimes you need to drill a hole in some type of electrical cabinet
or similar and it's already full of stuff you don't want any metal
chips to fall on? Well, I had to drill some holes in a machine's
electrical cabinet the other day and finally figured out that if you
put a strong magnet close to the drill while you are drilling the hole
all the chips wind up on the magnet and none fall into to cabinet. I
set a magnet from a magnetron on top of the cabinet right next to
where I was drilling the hole and it attracted all the chips. For my
next trick I'm going to make a magnet that attracts aluminum, wood,
and drywall.
Eric
Reply to
etpm
Use a small paper cup on the drill bit, especially for drilling overhead in drywall. Pack the drill bit with grease, chips will stay stuck in the grease.
Reply to
Tom Gardner
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com formulated the question :
A magnetron Magnet !! in 2012
What about a hard drive magnet. Much stronger in a small space.
But good idea never the less.
Reply to
John G
I have hard drive magnets, assorted other NdFeB magnets, and magnetron magnets salvaged from dead microwave ovens. The one I used just happened to be handy. One advantage of the magnet I use was the large surface area used to collect the chips. Eric
Reply to
etpm
Microwave ovens - those are wimpy. How about real pro grade magnetron magnets. e.g. Heavy power Mil grade.
After 40 years mine are still strong. I got two pair in the 50's as well. They are lower power - wimpy tube compared to the newer one.
Martin
Reply to
Martin Eastburn
Magnet naturally in a plastic bag to keep the swarf off the magnet and drops into the trash when the plastic is pulled off.
Martin
Reply to
Martin Eastburn
Stick a wad of Plasticine or similar on the other side. -- Boris
Reply to
Boris Mohar