What is it? Set 507

I need some help with number 2954 in this week's set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Alexander Thesoso
2956 Let me make a wild guess here. This is a chainwheel from a bicycle, made special by being from the Wright brother's shop.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2956 Front sprocket from a Dayton bicycle

No ideas on any of the others

Reply to
Gonadicus

I second the star drills used in mining as well in the early days for boring blasting holes in the stope face.

Reply to
Bluey69

2956 - Bicycle chain wheel (front sprocket)

2957 -- Mason's star drills (I still use these things)

Reply to
Ed Huntress

No trick, I had posted one years ago but someone just sent in these photos and I decided to go ahead post them again.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, it's a sprocket from a bicycle but I don't think it's related to the Wright Brothers. I posted it because I hadn't seen one recently and thought it looked interesting.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Well... there IS a trick... to using them. One doesn't 'bash' holes in masonry, if using them properly. One 'drills' holes. Neat, clean, and with a minimum of spalling on the back-side, if penetrating.

You don't just hold 'em in place and whack with a hand-sledge. You rotate them slowly while tapping (albiet with a heavy hammer and some authority!).

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

anything but straight line type drive, so my guess it for turning square shank drill bits

Nope, it doesn't use drill bits

You're correct that it's a handle for something.

Reply to
Rob H.

-------------------------------------------------- From: "Bluey69" Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:30 AM Newsgroups: rec.puzzles,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking Subject: Re: What is it? Set 507

Masonry and stone. Funny you should take umbrage with them I have tried a few times to buy some because mine have all gone the way of the dinosaur. The big box hardware stores don't seem to have them, and only the older people working there even know what they are. Maybe in another generation or two nobody will know what they are.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in news:AdtRt.276112 $ snipped-for-privacy@fx22.iad:

You won't find them at the Home DESPOT, but you will at any good concrete yard or full-fledged builder's supply.

Although there are easier ways to make MOST holes, there always comes a time when a star drill is the best tool. It's most aggravating, though, in a vertical 'down' hole. You'll need air or water if you drill that direction.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I've had good luck finding new "antique tools" through Amazon and affiliates, decent prices too. See:

or for different sizes:

There just doesn't seem to be enough volume on stuff like this for brick and mortar stores to consider stocking them. Try finding a new Brush Scythe, Cross-cut Saw... locally, at any price...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

No luck yet on the wooden piece with numbers, the rest of the answers have been posted here:

I finally figured out my html problem so the answer link should work better than in previous weeks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

What..you want some star drills? Ive got a shit load of them

And I think Ive still got a Black and Decker Industrial Electric Masonary Drill motor that uses star drills, unless it was in the van when they cleaned it out.

Interested in them? Ill go look in the morning if you are.

Gunner

"There are no leftists in mainstream American politics.

Just two right wing parties, one hard right and one softer." Christopher A. Lee, 8/18/2013

Reply to
Gunner Asch