What is it? Set 537

I need some help with 3135 in this week's set:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Larger images:
http://imgur.com/gallery/l60QW/new

Rob

Electric heater (unsafe)

--
It's a money /life balance.

I guess it could be but I couldn't find one like it on the web.
3135 Since nobody has ID'd this yet, I'll venture a guess: I think this is an Aeolian Harp. I couldn't find any like it, but I'll speculate that with a lot of wires, all the same length, and all under the same tension, if the wind blows through it, it makes a reasonably loud tone.
On 3/20/2014 4:18 PM, Rob H. wrote:

I'd tend to agree that it's NOT a pasta cutter. There's no practical way for a pasta cutter to be two-sided like that and get the bits out of the middle cavity.
The fact that it was indeed made-to-purpose, and not cobbled up seems to indicate some commercial value, though. I don't see a lot of market for Aeolean Harps!
Lloyd

3136 is a home freezer defrosting/cleaning scoop
3138 has just GOT to be a tool for skinning eels!
Lloyd
Sponenburgh says...

Correct

Sounds like a good secondary use for it!

Rob H. wrote:

3133 Pencil Sharpener     3134 Nut Cracker     3135 Cheese Slicer
--
 GW Ross

 An attacker must vanquish, a defender

It wasn't marked but I think this is correct.
On 3/20/2014 4:39 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Posting from my desk top PC in the living room as always.
3133, perhaps postage stamp dispenser? 3134, some kind of cutter? 3135, slicer for ballistic launched hard boiled eggs? 3136, scoop of some kind, but for what? 3137, angle finder and C clamp combination. Maybe for making roof truss? 3138, some combination pliers and cutter, but no clue why.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 3/20/2014 9:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh please go to your pc in your room. And don't come out.

--
Jeff

On 3/20/2014 10:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:

I'd be so bored.... nothing to do but sort dirty socks, and post to usenet. You'd get tired of me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Nope but it is for use by a woodworker.

    Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking, as always.
3133)    This looks to me like a device for skiving leather belt     material to a desired thickness. Is there a spring under the     wooden block under the wing nut? If so, then the wing nut is     used to adjust the thickness. (The anti-rotation piece on the     back suggests this to me.) You could also adjust the thickness     by adding shims under the block, if there is not a spring.
    Anyway -- it would be held in a vise, and the leather would be     drawn through it.
3134)    At first view, I thought that the head of the bolt was polished     flat and I was seeing a reflection of a surface behind it, but     the larger images site shows me that it is concave instead.
    Given the compound leverage, and the hefty return spring, I     think that it is a rather over-engineered nut cracker.
3135)    Your own puzzler.
    No electrical terminals, so a non-inductive resistor or heating     element does not work.
    Two nuts at the top to stretch the wires tight.
    Narrow opening at the top, and wide opening at the bottom.
    I don't see where the ends of the wire (one on each side, or one     spanning both sides, depending) are attached.
    So -- I have two pure guesses:
    1)    It is to stretch (and thus harden) music wire.
        often seen when looking through two layers of window         screen -- especially if they at angles to each other,         but it can be seen from two sets of parallel wires. It         is somewhat evident in the view of the bottom of the         assembly. But would be clearer if photographed at a         distance so both layers of wire were equally sharp.
        but not all systems will show extended ASCII         characters, nor show them the same on all systems, so I         describe it here. :-)
3136)    Hmm ... perhaps for skimming dross (oxidized metal and     impurities from a pool of molten lead or solder?
3137)    Hmm ... part 'A' is not wood, so given the apparent age     of the drawing (patent, I presume) it is more likely to be     metal, especially given the hex head on the clamp screw.     Plastics and wood would deform under the clamp. Part 'C' may be     wood, however.
    The notch in the pivoting part looks designed for cutting wire,     but we never see it pivoted to an angle to expose the other     notch which should be there too.
    So -- no real guess what it is supposed to do.
3138)    It looks, in part, like a rather nasty spring-loaded trap,     perhaps for something like a gopher -- or a snake. Perhaps the     toothed jaws at the end are for gripping and extracting the     remainder of the victim.
    Now to post this and see what others have suggested.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 01:12:22 -0000, DoN. Nichols

[]

Ok, DIY harp doubles as a cheese-grater.
I was thinking of a strainer, but cleaning would be difficult. I note the protuberances at the top might permit it to be held horizontally off a surface, but there's no equivalent on the base. There appears to be a slot at the base that would allow a rectangular item to be inserted. A picture to emphasise the moir effect?

Seems more likely

Unlikely to need quite so many passes of the wire

Works OK here!
(rec.puzzles)
-- It's a money /life balance.

It's obviously a pasta maker. See earlier posts.

I think that skiving tool is correct but I'm not 100% sure. I'll ask the owner if there is any way to adjust the blade height.
No answer yet for the wire device but the rest of them have been posted:
Rob
On 3/21/2014 4:13 PM, Rob H. wrote:

Rob, Sonny had found the item, he has posted it a few times.
Maybe I should repost the link. It's a pasta cutter. http://www.fantes.com/7868.html
Sonny
--
Jeff

Thanks! And thanks to Sonny for the link! Some weeks I don't have time to check all of the newsgroups so I only check rec.puzzles, I didn't see his post there. I've never seen that type of pasta maker before, I'll send this answer along to the owner of it.
I'd like to ask everyone to remember to post their replies to all three newsgroups, I'm sure that others and myself have missed numerous posts that only make it to one of the groups.
Have a great weekend everyone!
Rob

    [ ... ]

    Hmmm ... perhaps posting in only one of the three newsgroups? That would make it easy to miss. I did see someone posting that it was a pasta maker, though I did not count the number of times, and I don't believe that I saw the link.

    Intersting. I had mentally rejected any food processing item because of the wood (hard to clean properly -- which cleaning is covered in the web page), and as posted as a puzzle, it was missing the board between the two sets of wires.
    In particular, I could not imagine wood being used in something currently being sold for food processing -- though for the very restricted use range for which it was made, I guess that works.
    I would probably re-string it with stainless steel wire once the originals started to rust if I had one. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail