What is it? Set 537

[ ... ]

Hmmm ... perhaps posting in only one of the three newsgroups? That would make it easy to miss. I did see someone posting that it was a pasta maker, though I did not count the number of times, and I don't believe that I saw the link.

Intersting. I had mentally rejected any food processing item because of the wood (hard to clean properly -- which cleaning is covered in the web page), and as posted as a puzzle, it was missing the board between the two sets of wires.

In particular, I could not imagine wood being used in something currently being sold for food processing -- though for the very restricted use range for which it was made, I guess that works.

I would probably re-string it with stainless steel wire once the originals started to rust if I had one. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

I'd probably trash the whole thing and make a one-sided Lyre, so I didn't have to fish out errant strands of pasta from between the wires of that silly 'cage'.

That's the WORST-designed kitchen tool I've seen in a long time. Just _everything_ is wrong with it.

How easy do you suppose it is to get dough out of the little crevices where the wires intersect the aluminum castings. (Oh! I know! You're NEVER supposed to get any dough on anything but the bare wires -- right! I wonder if the designer ever actually MADE any pasta?)

I won't disagree that it is a pasta cutter. I saw the photos, too. But it's a terrible design. And WHERE THE HELL WOULD YOU STORE THAT THING?!?! Any impact with the wires screws it up good'n'proper, and it's BIG! Delicate AND big... hmmm... keep it out on the counter all the time?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I bet the originals used music wire. This won't be at all delicate. Stainless steel wire may be too weak and stretchy for this use.

In use, everything will be coated in flour dust, to prevent sticking. I bet they didn't ever wash these, instead just knocking the loose stuff off and setting it aside to dry. (From my vacations in Italy, the Italians are not so germ-phobic as in the US. Doesn't seem to cause much of a problem for the Italians.)

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

[ ... ]

Not too delicate, but easy to rust.

The *design* is probably Italian, but this version is made in the USA (Pennsylvania, IIRC).

If you read the page which was pointed to, they say to *not* wash it in water. Just oil it down with something like (IIRC) peanut oil to prevent rust on the strings and the stretching nuts and screws.

Sort of like a cast iron frying pan. You season it, and *never* wash it. Just scrub out excess oils from the cooking. If someone ever

*does* wash it with detergents, you have to go through the seasoning process again.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

"DoN. Nichols" fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@Katana.d-and-d.com:

OTOH, a good skillet gets sterilized by the heat of cooking...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

He said that the blade of 3133 is adjustable by turning the brass wing nut. I updated my answer for this one to include that it could be a basket maker's shave, there a few slightly similar tools in this search result:

Rob H.