What is it? Set 550

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

3211 Railway signal light

3214 log lifter

3216 drilling jig for drilling holes for wooden dowels , this one has 1/4" ,3/8" and 5/16 " drill guides, the most commonly used sizes
Reply to
Bluey69
3212 Has to be a fence tightener.

On 6/19/2014 3:46 AM, Rob H. wrote:

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3213 This looks like a worm to remove [stuff] from a muzzle loading cannon barrel, but is much smaller and nicely made... I'll guess this is a worm for a muzzle loading dueling pistol.
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3215 Wire stripper?
Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Rob Hartill:

3211 is obviously a lantern meant to be rotated by the gears and show red and white alternately. I'm having trouble deciding between three possible uses:
  • decorative light on a storefront business to call the attention of people passing by
  • roof light on a police car
  • 19th-century railway signal (19th century because the "go" signal is still white, not green).

It doesn't look over 100 years old and it looks too top-heavy for the police-car light, so I guess it's the first one.

Wrong three times or only twice?

Reply to
Mark Brader

3211 - looks like a light color selector. White under normal use, red for night vision/battle lighting. 3213 - worm for muzzle loading pistol.

3216 - dowel jig

Reply to
Steve W.

I remember that!

Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

#3260 Wire Stripper #3261 Doweling jig.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

3211 - I'm thinking either Railroad or Maritime. Perhaps a beacon light on a bouy? Or a channel marker?
Reply to
Baxter

Good job on the last one.

Reply to
Rob H.

I don't know what this tool is but I didn't see in my fence tool book.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think this is probably right but don't know for sure.

Reply to
Rob H.

Sounds like a good answer to me but I also don't have an answer for this tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

Three, I'm sorry to say.

Reply to
Rob H.

"Battle lighting" is on the right track

Reply to
Rob H.

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

3211) O.K. My first thought was the rotating beacon on an airport, but civilian airports have two white beams 180 degrees apart, and military ones have alternating white and green beams, not the white and red here.

And it looks a bit too small for a lighthouse (unless they have managed to make long-life lamps much smaller than in the past).

So -- my guess is that it is a warning light from the top of a buoy -- motor driven to keep the red beam towards the danger areas and the white beam towards the safe areas.

Plus, the outer black shutters cause it to blink as they are rotated.

3212) Not sure, but it looks like a tool for bending something to a specific curve. 3213) A rather short "worm" for extracting ball and charge from a muzzle loading firearm -- almost certainly a handgun, and possibly from a set of dueling pistols. 3214) Nasty looking thing!

Could that be one of the punishment devices used on convicts who had been shipped to Australia? Closed around the neck (if there is really enough room for a human neck in there) and attached to a wall to keep them upright and from falling to sleep for a long period of time?

3215) Looks like a device to crimp flush with a surface -- perhaps a cable passing through a nipple and then crimped to hold it there.

3216) A drill guide -- for drilling holes for dowels at a set-able distance from the edge of a wood piece.

Looks like guide bushings for 1/4" 1/2" and 5/8", but hard to be sure -- when I zoom in the jpeg artifacts hide the details, and you did not put the dead-on view in to the "larger image" site. Even the angled view on that site doesn't give really legible views when zoomed in.

I wonder what the spacing between the pegs on the top side is, and whether it is a convenient size for some common piece of wood.

Now to post this and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
3211: surveying something or another? 3212: Can opener? 3213: Gun cleaning ream? 3214: Meat smoking clamp? 3215: wire stripper? 3216: part of a Gregg jig?
Reply to
mungedaddress

3215: a type of nail puller perhaps? Maybe used on a roof to catch the nails. It looks stout enough to be hammered on even... phil k.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

After we see the answers post from last week.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon