What is it? Set 517

This week's set has been posted:

Larger images:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
3015 Sights for a weapon, probably a mortar.

3018 Artificial Horiz> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso
3016 sure looks like a microscope. Or is there more to it than that?

3018 must be part of an aircraft turn-and-bank (attitude) indicator.

Reply to
Mark Brader
3013: Sluice? 3014: Axe? 3015: 3016: 3017: 3018: 3019: artificial Horiz> This week's set has been posted:
Reply to
mungedaddress

Posting from my desk top PC in yhe living room as always.

3013, Looks familiar, but can't place it. Might be a gasoline powered fish washer. 3014, some kind of garden hoe? 3015, the eye peep hole makes me wonder if it's some kind of gun sight. The military look makes me wonder if it's bomb robots like the use in Afghanistan. I've seen a couple episodes of Bomb Patrol Afghanistan. I have only respect for those deminers, I find that one terrifying job. 3016, some kind of microscope, or possibly refractometer? 3017, no clue. 3018, part of artificial horizon gage from airplane.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

item 3016 looks like a variation of what Wikipedia calls an Abbe refractometer

or a lensmeter:

There is a more common name for the device, but I can't think of it.

Reply to
Mark F

3013 is a seed cleaner.

3015 has got yardage on it. It has to be a flip-up peep site for some weapon with an effective range out to 600yd, ruling out most small shoulder arms (yes, I know crack shots can do that, but most military guys are barely competent with their small arms... )

3018 I think it's just a classroom aid. The lines appear to be made with drafting tape! It looks like a crude mockup of an attitude gyro to me. Could be from an aircraft OR a sub... wouldn't matter much for the style or types of readings you'd get.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You're right about them being sights but they aren't for mortars

Yes, this was described as being a "submarine diving gauge", but I don't anything more about it.

Reply to
Rob H.

Good answer, the tag on this device says Lensometer.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope

Not exactly an axe but it's somewhat similar to one.

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Curd slicer Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Rob, sometimes responding to others' posts doesn't get to you, so..

3013 is a seed cleaner. Lloyd
Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

3015 - M4/M16 flat top 200-600 meter BUIS (pop it up if you need iron sights instead of optics)
Reply to
Steve W.

Ayup

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Weaver mounts (as opposed to picatinny mounts.)

windage and elevation.

showing something very similar.

702.htm

Yes, the one on my site is a Matech, part number OGU83.

Reply to
Rob H.

3018 is a ball used in a horizon indicator on an airplane or jet. It's mounted in a display cradle. 3015 Sights for a sniper rifle. 3016 microscope (too simple.. you want the specialized purpose which I don't know).

3013 for some farm produce... cleans the earth from the produce... carrots, potatos, onions or something.

Reply to
woodchucker

Seed cleaner is correct. Probably the reason that sometimes I don't see some posts is because occasionally people post to just one of the groups instead of all three. I usually check all three but some weeks I don't have time and will just check one of them. When a I read a post in one newsgroup it's not marked as read in the other two so it's can be time consuming to look for posts that are just in one group.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Yep, currently the sight fitted to the M4 used in the sandbox. I have the same sight on two of my flat tops.

Reply to
Steve W.

3013: the u-bolt suggests to me that one would draw it along the axis of the handle to slide the blade under something, then lift the handle to pry.

I've never worked with wood shingles. I wonder if it could have been useful in removing a course of shingles.

Reply to
J Burns

I'm guessing it is something like a flencing knife.

Reply to
Larry Sheldon