What is it? Set 488

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2839: Used to measure the circumference of a wheel. Mismatched wheels could cause customer annoyance.
Reply to
j Burns

Still a problem with cross-posting replies... I posted:

as a resp> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2841 is a spoon bit for cutting circular mortises in legs of chairs to fit round tenons into. The square tapered endfits into the chuck of a hand brace .
Reply to
Bluey69

2840 - Brick or block carrier
Reply to
NamPhong

2839 - Wheelwright's measure

2840 - Brick carrier

Reply to
joeljcarver

I think the issue here is in the particular post from mbuck, when I click reply to him it only lists rec.puzzles, when I click reply on someone else's post, it lists all three groups. I think this is because he only posted his reply to rec.puzzles and not the other two.

Btw, I'm glad that thing are back to normal with most all of the replies in one thread, it's much easy for me that way.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

It does look similar to a spoon bit but according a link I found it was used for a different purpose.

Reply to
Rob H.

I usually don't reply to answers for items that are also on Neatorama, but since someone already got it I'll go ahead and say that this is correct. Or at least mostly correct, the Dictionary of American Hand Tools has a slightly different definition for this tool.

Reply to
Rob H.

I was so curious, I went to Neatorama. I couldn't find it. My grandfather was once a wheelwright. What if he'd put on a wheel 3" bigger than the others!

Reply to
j Burns

2843 looks like a tamper proof ring... usually used on electric meters from the utility company, but also on tractor trailers doors to show that the door was not opened since packing. Older type that I don't see anymore.
Reply to
woodchucker
2839. distance measuring wheel??

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
WW

A traveler.

Reply to
G. Ross

O.K. You're back to full distribution. :-)

Photobucket still does not like my brower.

2839) The circumference makes it clear (you could have made it a little more difficult by posting the diameter instead. :-) -- it is a rolling wheel to measure linear paths up to two feet. You can set the pointer to where you want before starting to roll -- or turn the wheel until the pointer is where you want it.

If you need to go beyond two feet, you will have to keep count of complete turns of the wheel -- perhaps with a dab of contrasting paint on one of the spokes.

2840) A tool to compress something -- likely a front suspension spring from an automobile. Though it looks a little light weight for the purpose (say I without having a chance to try to lift it. :-)

2841) Well ... it fits in a brace of the Brace-and-Bit style, based on the long tapered pyramid on the left.

Looks like it fits onto a hole in some form of guide and cuts something clamped between the guide and a backing piece, likely both made of wood. :-) I would suspect that it is for making circular pads of leather.

If it did not have a bevel edge on it (which is clearly visible in the second photo) I would think that it might be a wrench to fit into a cylindrical enclosure and to unscrew something from there. (Like perhaps part of a water valve.)

2842) Well ... it clamps onto something cylindrical (perhaps a rifle barrel) and is prevented from rotating by the slot at 10:00 in the second photo engaging the front sight. This would put the roller pretty close to dead center under the barrel. Perhaps for some form of benchrest shooting of moving targets, so you could roll the front across the bench while not having to support the full weight of the arm.

2843) Assuming that the color is not from Anodized aluminum, but rather bronze, If that were a "MD" instead of a "MO' at the end of the address, I would think that it had to do with sailboats, but there is not anything like that there that I know of.

It looks as though it locks onto a wire or cable by rotating the button at the end.

Hmm ... perhaps part of the way a mail bag was picked up (or dropped off) by a moving train going through the station. Perhaps this had Chilicothe as the destination?

2844) This looks like a wrench for unscrewing bungs from metal barrels (drums) of oil or solvents prior to screwing in a pump or a tap.

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[ ... ]

Which is actually how proper netquette expects us to behave. However, I have no desire to follow the other two newsgroups (just rec.crafts.metalworking), and I'm sure that others feel the same way, so I consider this to be an exception to the restriction of followups to a single newsgroup. (And my newsreader reminds me every time I post in these threads. :-)

There is even a "Followup-To: " header to force the discussion to a specific newsgroup when it has been started cross-posted to gather interest. (And a bit of a "puzzlement" to those who don't notice it, and don't see what they posted in the newsgroup in which they posted the reply -- sometimes the try again and again. :-)

Agreed.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

The only other thing that comes to mind is a plug cutter for making wooden plugs .

Other than that Im done.

Reply to
Bluey69

I looked it up. It is called a traveller or wheelwright's traveller.

Now my confusion is greatly reduced. I still have the nitpicking issue that wheels have to be round. The traveller, run around the circumference doesn't check that the wheel isn't slightly elliptical. If the wheelwright spins the wheel to check that it is round, then a yardstick should do a good job of checking the size. But... I've learned not to argue with or question a professional doing his job.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Snip

They were used to measure the circumference of the wooden wheel then transfer this measurement to the straight metal strip to cut it the right length to fit over the wooden wheel. Try doing that with a yardstick.

Reply to
G. Ross

With this tool mathematical equations are not required. Simple as you can get....

Reply to
Phil Kangas

You don't need a mathematical equation if you simply put the correct markings on the measuring stick.

Seems like measuring with a non-elastic string or wire would be more accurate than running a wheel around another wheel.

Reply to
jim