What is it? Set 508

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2963 looks like it may be a casting mold pattern for foundry casts.. possibly half of a full pattern, because of the half-round feature on the one side, adjacent to a flat surface.
Reply to
Wild_Bill

2964: Is a Dyna Jet model pulse jet engine. Had several as a kid, and firmly believe they're why my hearing isn't 100%.

Most had red anodized aluminum head (venturi) assemblies, and were marked under the name 'Dyna Jet Red Head'.

They were so loud they (literally) gave my dad nose bleeds...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

2964 is a model pulse-jet.
Reply to
Ed Huntress
2959 Guess... Peat cutter

2963 Toilet bowl mold core.

2964 Agree with E & E that this is a jet engine. To be very picky about answer language... This is a real engine used for model planes.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2960 Ring stamp for stamping the karat inside a ring. From the width it might well be for 'sterling'.
Reply to
G. Ross
2959, toe nail file for elephants. 2960, cold chisel made by the Artistic Brothers Tools. 2961, wall mount holder for fencing class. 2962, factor rep demo of a furnace heat exchanger. 2963, model of French building from 1500s era. 2964, chalice carried by a reform priest in the 1960s.

I hope someone knows some of these, I am seriously, totally, clueless.

. Christ> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks, Rob. This is one of the few things on usenet that is really worth my time. Wish I knew what any of the items was / were!

. Christ> This week's set has been posted:

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

2964 is definitely a model pulse jet engine.

I have a design for a model called "Lil' Torchy" that uses that same motor.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

2959 is a hay knife
Reply to
Ralph

Yep, agreed... loud and hot...

Reply to
woodchucker

2959. 30" long

It's a hay knife.

Reply to
phorbin

Correct, I've previously posted several other sand casting patterns but never got any answers for what the parts were specifically for.

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, I had heard that ear plugs are recommended when operating one.

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct, I took a photo of the stamp but it turned out really blurry, I can read

14K but not the text before that. The top half of this image is my original photo, the lower half has been mirrored to make it easier to read. Can anyone tell me what the other text says?

Rob H.

Good answer, that's exactly what it is.

Reply to
Rob H.

2959) Looks like a cutter from a motorized harvesting machine.

At a guess -- for harvesting a cane type crop.

The "larger image" links have gotten worse. Of three browsers, only one brings it up full size -- for a moment, and then goes blank.

2960) An old forged bit for a metal-turning lathe. This one designed for working around a ridge and turning inside that area.

2961) Hmm ... from the angle of the photo it is not clear, but it *looks* to me as though the crank is too close to the backboard to allow it to be turned, so it is some kind of demonstration, not a working tool.

The smaller one might be for winding thread on a bobbin, but again, the clearance for a full turn seems to be missing, at this time on the cross-bar on the read part.

2962) For separating coarse from fine parts of some grain product at a guess.

2963) A wood model of a shape to be cast in iron or bronze. The flat side is put down in a half box, "Green sand" is poured around it and pounded until it sets up fairly hard, then the half box ("flask" is the official term, I think) is turned over and a similar other half is prepared and joined to it -- with holes for guiding the molten metal into the mold. Once the metal cools enough, the sand is broken off and the metal then gets whatever other post-processing is needed to make the final part.

2964) A "Dynajet Redhead" -- a pulse jet for models which is started with a bicycle pump, and once it is running, requires hearing protection for all in the neighborhood. :-)

Now to post and see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

-------------------------------------------- Known as a pattern.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ The top half of the box is called the "Cope". The bottom half of the box is called the "Drag". An assembled cope and drag is called the "Flask".

From an earlier life when I was involved in foundry automation design.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Rob looking here

about 2/3 of the way down (search 18K HGE) I know that it is 14kbut this may be the answer

This one can be confusing to someone who doesn't have any experience at jewelry karat markings. The "HGE" , "GE", or "HG" stands for hard gold electroplated, the 18k refers to the type of plating, not that the piece of jewelry is actually 18k gold. In other words, a piece of jewelry that is stamped 18k HGE is gold plated costume jewelry with little or no value

Robin

Reply to
Robin Halligan

The "flask" is the outer containment structure for the sand mold. Usually a rectangular box. The two halves of the flask lock together and that keeps the two halves of the mold aligned and keeps the mold from separating due to the hydraulic pressure of the molten metal.

Most high production small castings are made using flaskless molding today. The mold are made as a long string of molds.

jim