What is it? Set 364

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2095 could be an early Theodolite piece

2096 looks like part of a drill which you lean into with your chest or hand for more pressure

2097: Pass

2098: section of a wheel balancer unit

2099: is part of my Grandfathers whiskey still

2100: is a pair of fencing pliers/cutters/hammer/axe

Reply to
George W Frost

2095. Some kind of photography exposure meter or maybe sound level meter. 2097. Something about the shape of this and the obvious soft rubber material reminded me of an adaptor I once had to push connect a hose pipe or shower pipe over a tap (faucet). After a bit of inspired Googling I came up with the Tapi Drinking Fountain Faucet adapator.

What will they think of next?

2098. Pro-Mark seem to make drumming equipment but god knows what this thing is. 2100. Fencing or general woodworking pliers. Pincers, hammer, axe head and screwdriver all in one tool.
Reply to
Dave Baker

2096. The only reference I can find is to pattern makers tooling for casting moulds. This looks like it could be used to set the depth of casting sand in a sand box to a given height below the top edge. However it's certainly a depth gauge of some kind if not in that industry.
Reply to
Dave Baker

2095 Director's Viewfinder 2096 Height or thickness gage 2097 Brix syrup separator 2098 Wheel balance 2099 Casting for a piston 2100 Leatherman Tool (first edition)

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Yes, it's a wheel balancer though I'm not sure exactly what kind of wheels it's for.

Correct.

Reply to
Rob H.

None of the guesses so far for this one are correct.

Good answer!

Reply to
Rob H.

Yes, but I don't know exactly what it was supposed to measure. The owners description of it:

...pictures of a tool I bought several years ago at a flea market in Germany. The only information I could find was that Wagner was a foundry in the town of Stekborn (or Steckborn) in Switzerland.The scale on the tool is in mm from 0 to 100. The tool is correctly assembled - if the head on left-hand side in the photographs is turned through 180 degrees, it does look more like a caliper for measuring, but in this case the scale does not start at zero.

Reply to
Rob H.

2100 - Tool for opening crates
Reply to
joeljcarver

2098 is a wheel balancer. 2100 looks like an all-in-one wire cutter, hatchet, hammer, screwdriver, and pry bar.
Reply to
Doug Miller

It's the entire unit, not a section of one.

I used to own one. It's for automobile wheels. Look at the top plate: there are numerous circles designated with letters A-M, I think, each letter appearing in three circles. The device came with three cones, each having a short peg on the other end, which fit in the holes in the centers of the labelled circles. The instruction manual showed which circles to put the cones in, depending on the year, make, and model of the vehicle (or the number and spacing of the lugs), in order to center the wheel on the top plate by placing the mounting holes over the cones.

There's a bubble level in the center. The three bolts in the base permit adjusting the unit perfectly level before placing a wheel on it; an unbalanced wheel obviously causes the bubble to move off-center.

Reply to
Doug Miller

2097 is a toilet bottom from the Smurfs?

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Whatever you have. There are plastic cone shaped pins that fit into the holes. The are set so that they fall into the holes on the wheel. You use the letters to ensure that they are all in the same ones to center the wheel. I have one just like that in the shop. Actually works pretty well. The three bolts in the base allow you to adjust it so it sits level.

Reply to
Steve W.

2095. Optical Pyrometer. Measures high temperatures by comparing the color of the object to be measured with the filament of a calibrated lamp fed by a variable current supply.
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Found it!

J Burns

Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as always:

2095) Optical Pyrometer -- for measuring the temperature of things which are hot enough to glow. I'm absolutely sure of this one.

Measures by passing current through a wire in the field of view and adjusting until the wire is the same color (temperature) as the object under study.

These days, an IR temperature gun is a lot more convenient. :-)

2096) If the item is actually calibrated in cm (which is perhaps more likely, given that "10" instead of "12" is highlighte red, then it is too small for that -- and is for measuring some shorter step height. 10 cm is only about 3.937". Perhaps for measuring the height of heels on women's shoes?

2097) Hmm ... slip the larger hole on the top over a faucet, stick a small hose in the smaller hole and it could act as some form of vacuum pump.

2098) A bench-mount tool for balancing a tire -- or perhaps a flywheel?

Marked holes are for balancing weights -- or perhaps for lug-nut bolts to hold the tire centered?

2099) Heat exchanger? Vent stove heat through the top pipes (perhaps it goes in one of the pot holes in the top of a wood-burning stove). Small hole on side is for feeding water through to heat it?

2100) Perhaps a farrier's hammer? Nippers for trimming hoof, blade for prying up an old horseshoe?

Now to see what others have suggested (and expect to read more when I get back home this evening.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols
2095: a hot-wire pyrometer. Basically, you compare the color of a glowing furnace to a calibrated lamp filament

2098: parrt of a tire-balancing rig?

2100: multipurpose tool, looks like it might be of use to a farrier (i.e. for horse-shoeing)
Reply to
whit3rd

2097 looks like my pen container
Reply to
http://www.Towood.com/ Export

This week's set has been posted:

Rob

2095 some sort of range finder?
Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the information on the balancer, this is the first one of this type that I have seen.

Four of the six have answered correctly this week, still not sure about the German measuring device and the second last item, a couple of new photos have been posted with the answers for this set:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.