CordPro -- Extension cord storage & usage

I recently met someone who is a big fan of these and showed me his collection of them. It's a nice and simple way to store and use electrical extension cords:

Denis G.

Cute idea but not space-efficient.

I coil cords like climbing rope and secure them with Velcro wraps.

way several long ones can hang on a peg, instead of taking up shelf space like reeled cords, which don't stack well.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I recently started storing my seemingle endless supply of extensions like this:

hang on a hook, and are always ready to go and tangleproof.

Reply to
rangerssuck

That was immediately added to my Amazon Wish List. I've been looking for something which wouldn't break the first time it was dropped from waist height. I'm really tired of winding my cord into a contractor's weave. I wonder if they'll someday make one which fits a

10/3 100' cord...

Thanks for the heads-up, Denis.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Much more efficient than a contractor's weave, and not that ungodly mess every time it's coiled. I get the same mess whether it's coiled left (correct-handed) or right-handed.

So coil what you want and use a CordPro for the most-used cord.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I think that they're space efficient, but maybe we have different standards. I think that they're more time efficient because the storage to use-time is cut down. The product was reviewed by a boating magazine and they liked it. Many people who use boats are also concerned with saving space. (However, I'd be worried about grabbing one of these instead of a life-preserver in an emergency. :) )

Reply to
Denis G.

That's a cool method for storing and using cords, but it seems like a bit of work. Maybe with practice it would become second-nature.

Reply to
Denis G.

=A0 -- Minna Thomas Antrim

If they make one that stores 100' of 10/3 cord, maybe you could use it as a emergency spare tire for your truck.

Reply to
Denis G.

=A0 -- Minna Thomas Antrim

I bought two at a tool show about ten years ago. I love using mine. I hang it on a nail above the outlet I use for yard work, take it down for uses. A CAUTION!! for entended time uses, unwind completly, heat builds up inside the case.

Reply to
mac

Rightio! Never use a wire in a coil. The electrons get heated up going around and around in circles and that's -not- a good thing.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Extra large:

150' 12/3, 100' 10/3, or 60' 3/8 _air hose_ 16" dia, 4-1/2" deep, $35

I could use a couple, if it wasn't $35. Maybe HF could get a Chinese supplier to make them.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Denis G. wrote: > On Nov 25, 6:49 am, rangerssuck wrote: >> I recently started storing my seemingle endless supply of extensions >> like this:

>> They hang on a hook, and are always ready to go and tangleproof. >

I agree, with the cool & bit-of-work parts. It's also not clear whether it would hang as well/compactly as plain looped cord.

When I loop cords I get about 6' per loop, taking 17 loops to do 100'. The technique on the video took about 24 "loops", so maybe a little slower. Much more convenient when un-looping though - I always have to be so careful about playing out to avoid tangles.

Bottom line for me: it's worth a try.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

The OP's reels could be hung on pegs, using lanyards.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I tried that and actually got a 'knot' wrong. It stowed in loops properly but refused to 'deploy'. Once I untangled the hung loop, subsequent loops deployed smoothly. I still don't know how I did that incorrectly.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

=A0 =A0 -- Minna Thomas Antrim

The guy who introduced me to these also warned me of this, but he said that it was a problem only if you are drawing heavy current (i.e. near capacity of the cord). He does the same as you, and unreels more cord as necessary.

Reply to
Denis G.

Larry Jaques wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Thu, 25 Nov 2010 05:45:32 -0800:

I've found a left/right coil works pretty well.

Starts like any coiling, but every second coil is twisted underneath, not just laid on top. Hard to explain, but easy to do. Won't solve all problems but the best I've found so far.

Reply to
dan

How to:

Bob Engelhardt

Yes and yes. It really doesn't take any extra time to do, once you get the hang of it. You can make the loops as big as you want, also, so it doesn't have to take a lot of loops. I have a 150' 12/3 cord done up like this, and it hangs fine. You can also double it up to hang - it's damn near impossible to tangle.

The big advantage to this, vs coiling, is that it doesn't put twist into the cord. I know about "figure 8" coiling, and doing one loop in back and one loop in front, but I could never do those consistently well. Also with this methid, you can unloop just as much as you need, and have some of each end available.

Anyway, I recommend that you give it a try. The CordPro gadget looks pretty good, too, but kinda pricey.

Now, after watching that video, youtube suggested watching the one about two-scond teeshirt folding. THAT, I have been doing for a couple of years. It's really cool, and really takes a couple of seconds to get your shirts folded neatly, with the front showing - so you don't have to guess whether it has a pocket or a grease stain or something nasty printed on it that you wouldn't want to wear to a customer. Either way, that's a video worth watching, and a cool way to fold a shirt.

rangerssuck

Familiarity breeds competence, Pooh.

-- Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills. -- Minna Thomas Antrim

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It's stupid simple - simply do a figure-eight, and the coil doesn't twist.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise