Simple Easy Storage Hooks

Ok, I know a lot of you guys are serious fabricators, but this was a simple easy thing I found to store some heavy extension cords and ropes out in the shop. I took a section of 1/2" EMT and bent the end into a nice U shape with a conduit bender. I bent the basic 90 it is designed to do, then shifted the bender a few inches and made a slight bend several times until I had a nice U shape on the end of the tube. Then I whacked the long leg about 8 inches longer than the stub and with my chop saw. By positioning the two support plates on my hydraulic press, and applying force I got a nice flat to screw to the wall or whatever. A few quick punches with the drill press and they were ready to go. Not something I would use in a nice home garage, but they are really handy and look great in a working shop building. The only thing I couldn't do with other tools probably is make those neat U bends in the conduit. In my case I had an area with several metal storage shelves that set back out of the way, so I just shot tech screw into them to mount the hooks. A word of warning. I would not do this to free standing shelves. Mine are screwed and secured to the cross perling of the building, and can not over balance with any amount of weight I could safely put on the hooks. If they were free standing, and you were to put several heavy extension cords on them it might not be safe.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I do the same thing with discarded cable TV co-ax - the aluminum stuff bends easily but still holds extension cords etc and never rusts ;)

nick hull

You must be talking about 500 hardline or something like that. Regular RG6 or even quad shield RG6 is to limber to make any kind of a hook. Either that or I misunderstood and you are using it as twine.

Bobb La Londe

Bob La Londe

Yes I am using the hardline, it comes on BIG wooden spools and the cable people discard short lengths all the time. 50' is too short for them to use.

nick hull