One Way Flexible Support For Hose?

I have a 3/4" OD vinyl hose coming out of my new dehumidifier that has to snake about 4 feet to get to the sink it drains into. At the moment, I have it supported in a couple of places along the way, but it sags in between, which allows water to pool. I had this problem with my old dehumidifier, and the stagnent water tends to grow mildew & mold, and can eventually clog up the hose.

I'd like to lash it to, or support it with, something that would keep the downhill run even, without the dips. One idea would be to take a 1/2" to

3/4" wide flat strip of aluminum, and cable tie the hose to it. The thin part of the strip would be vertical, and would easily bend to follow the path of the hose, but wouldn't bend vertically. A thin plastic strip would also work.

I seem to recall seeing flexible plastic cable raceways that would preform the same function, but I may have imagined it.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Thermoform a PVC tube and run your drain tube down it?

Or make up a metal strip that follows the desired path and weld little sections of tube every so often and thread your tube through?

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

A stiff wire inside the tubing?

Reply to
ff
  1. run it inside EMT
  2. replace with glass tubing (cheap)
** Posted from
**
Reply to
William Noble

snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu (Doug White) wrote in news:U-SdncLMDoq7SQnVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net:

Engergy chain is your friend.

Anthony

The hose takes an S shaped path to the sink to avoid some obstacles. If I use anything straight, it will have to be in several sections, which could droop almost as much as the tube does now. If I did it with rigid tubing & joints, I'd need a number of 45 degree bends.

Lashing it to a strip of thin aluminum still seems like my best option.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Cool! It may be overkill, but it does exactly what I need. They make some in plastic, all I have to do is see if they have some that is small enough and not too terribly expensive.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

yea - a couple of wire coathangers stuffed up the pipe!

Reply to
Den

If the unit is on an outside wall, drill a hole through to the exterior and drain outside directly.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Unfortunately, it's well inside, next to a bathroom, and the hose goes around the corneer of the bathroom, past a utility chase, and then into the laundry sink. The dehumidifier is located as centrally as I can with airflow through a door and access to the sink. I suppose I could drill a hole in the wall & drain it into the bathroom sink, but I doubt my wife would approve...

The wire inside would be tricky. A straight wire can only prevent sags greater than the hose ID, which is enough to cause a problem.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

If it's anything like the dehumidifier I have it never needs the large hose diameter for the drain. On mine I replaced the factory drain with one made from copper tubing. Polished the tubing a bit and coated it with clear enamel. Looks better and easily formed.

Reply to
Steve W.

Check the flexible wire duct on McMaster p.810, e.g.:

69775K85 Flexible Wire Duct 1" W X 1" H Overall Size, 19-5/8" Length, Gray In stock at $9.94 Each
Reply to
Ned Simmons

Tape the hose to a length of aluminum clothesline wire, using aluminum tape. Snake through corners. Bend to desired shape.

Kevin Gallimore

axolotl

Perfect, and not overly pricey. I'll grab some the next tiem I place an order (which is pretty often). It's even avaialble in white, which will hel to camoflage it a bit.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

This is a funny unit. It's very efficient & quiet, and it works great. It's rated for 104 pints and only 6.8 amps. My old 45 pint Fedders drew 5.6 amps. My only complaint (aside from the price tag) is that the drain hose is attached internally, and you have to take it apart to do anything with it. The instant the warrantee expires, the covers coming off and I'm going to do pretty much as you say. It looks like there is a good drop internally from the catch basin. If I plumb it out of the opposite side from where it is now, I can run a shorter hose with a steeper angle.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

The "L" track used at the perimeter of a suspended ceiling is cheap, readily attached to support points along the way and a cable tie or tape here and there will secure the tubing on the shelf created by the track.

Reply to
Pete C.

Use a cheap fish tape

Reply to