Re: What is the exact tap & die size for a USA garden hose thread (it's not NH)

I think it's the faucet threads that are the concern, not those of the hose. The anti backflow piece that's been required on outside faucets have a set screw that rusts/corrodes and cannot be removed and then the backflow piece with the setscrew galls the faucet's threads when coming off the faucet, which is necessary to repair or replace the useless backflow device, after time.

Reply to
Joe Dokes

I think it's the faucet threads that are the concern, not those of the hose. The anti backflow piece that's been required on outside faucets have a set screw that rusts/corrodes and cannot be removed and then the backflow piece with the setscrew galls the faucet's threads when coming off the faucet, which is necessary to repair or replace the useless backflow device, after time.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

What is this backflow stuff? If you're water supply is never interrupted, why would anything flow backwards.

And if it flow backwards, is it going to be more than an inch or two?

It's 8 feet from my garden faucet to the main cold water pipe. How is the water ever going to flow back 8 feet.

And if it does, it will get diluted by the incoming clean water.

And then what are the odds I'll drink it, rather than flush the toilet, take a shower, or wash the dishes?

And if you do get a little garden hose poison, it will build up your resistance? Like with snake poison.

Who has not drunk out of the garden hose already?

Reply to
micky

But they all can be occasionally.

It can be enough to get all sorts of shit into the water supply, for others.

When they have repair a blown water line etc.

Yes, but its very undesirable with some stuff in the water supply.

Yes, the risk isnt great, but its more than zero.

It isnt just garden hose poison that's possible.

Or can kill you.

It isnt just garden hose undesirables.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What is this backflow stuff? If you're water supply is never interrupted, why would anything flow backwards.

And if it flow backwards, is it going to be more than an inch or two?

It's 8 feet from my garden faucet to the main cold water pipe. How is the water ever going to flow back 8 feet.

And if it does, it will get diluted by the incoming clean water.

And then what are the odds I'll drink it, rather than flush the toilet, take a shower, or wash the dishes?

And if you do get a little garden hose poison, it will build up your resistance? Like with snake poison.

Who has not drunk out of the garden hose already?

----------------------

"Water pressure may fail or be reduced when a water main bursts, pipes freeze, or there is unexpectedly high demand on the water system (for example, when several fire hydrants are opened)."

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

For quite good reasons.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But they all can be occasionally.

--------------------------

Personally I've seen and rearranged a garden hose submerged in a swimming pool to refill it in the spring, to raise the level high enough to filter out the leaf debris, dead bugs, bird crap and green algae. The owner had covered the pool but a seam ripped.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw. The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw. The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

The saw cuts did no substantial harm to the faucet, the setscrew galling was minimal and easy to file out.

hth,

bob prohaska

--------------------------

Did you try to disassemble the check valve?

I've permanently (?) repaired hose sprays by winding a new rust-proof spring from stainless welding rod.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

At least on mine it was easier to use a fine saw to notch the backflow preventer on either side of the setscrew and then break out the screw. The body is brass and not very strong, the screws are relatively hard.

----------------------------

You caught me. Drilling out a small screw freehand without ruining the threaded hole is a challenging test of skill. I've messed up enough that when I needed to drill out broken screws on my lathe and truck's intake manifold I made drill guide jigs.

Jim Wilkins

No, I was content to remove the leaky device. It didn't strike me as something that could be non-destructively disassembled, but I still have the carcass somewhere and could look if it's of interest.

Not sure I follow you here; hose sprays? Do you mean spraying leaks from the anti-backflow device?

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

The companies that make backflow preventers has some good lobbyists. At work we had to have them on all pressure vessels, like boilers. Our boilers had much higher pressure than the town water system.

At home we have to have them on the lawn sprinklers. I pay $25 a year for someone to come out and inspect it. Never saw the guy but there is a new tag on it and a bill in the mail.

I'd like to see good some statistics on how much good they do. This gives a number but does not say if it is one year or a hundred years.

A report by the CDC confirmed that more than 1006 people across 19 states in the US had some form of sickness related to water contamination. Contaminated water can spread diseases in a split second due to the interconnection of water systems. Backflows tend to redirect contaminated water in homes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Wasn't my idea, found it on the Web somewhere, maybe YouTube. Didn't care about the backflow preventer, but did value the hose bibb.

fixtures before this...

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

No, I was content to remove the leaky device. It didn't strike me as something that could be non-destructively disassembled, but I still have the carcass somewhere and could look if it's of interest.

{{{{{{{{{ I disassemble things to see how they were made, knowledge that's been very useful to me when I built prototypes for engineers who knew the theory but not the practice. A demonstrated ability to design and machine custom metal parts in addition to my electronic skills got me into the space program and Segway. }}}}}}}}}

Not sure I follow you here; hose sprays? Do you mean spraying leaks from the anti-backflow device?

bob prohaska

-----------------------------------

These, for example:

The better quality ones with a threaded knob on the sliding stem can be disassembled to fix a jam or leak. Greasing the stem seal and replacing a rusted-out steel spring makes them last longer than a new one would without repair and is less inconvenient than getting cleaned up and driving to the store for a replacement. And it's a good excuse to be creative on the metal lathe.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Jim Wilkins snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: .....

fixtures before this...

bob prohaska

I didn't either, I just designed and built whatever they asked me for and labeled it for the production part it calibrated and tested. The only time their names were important was when I updated my resume. R&D jobs aren't permanent, nor are small start-ups developing interesting new products.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins