Garden hose as insulator

(this is in regards to my welder rewiring project).

I have a few bare copper wires (stips 1/2" wide 1.5 ft long) that are temporarily not needed.

While I do have fiberglass insulating sleeve that I plan on using when I finally wire everything for the final wiring, I want to isolate a few wires temporarily, and would prefer not to cut the fiberglass sleeve yet.

I have some old junk garden hose that is relatively flexible, made of some soft material, softer than rubber.

Would it be able to be an isolator up to 150 volts or so?

Ignoramus32263

Thank you, unless something goes seriously wrong, there should not be temperature issues. PVC with glass fibers sounds like a good guess. This is temporary for testing only.

Ignoramus32263

Probably PVC, with some glass fibers probably. Should be fine for

150V, but not much temperature, so make sure it doesn't get hot. Also poisonous (chlorine) if burned, IIRC.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Think about draining the hose first!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Go for it. My friend and I went to Vacaville to get an old Cadillac he bought. When we got there, Mr. Farmerguy had used one of the ignition leads for his tractor or something. So we made a replacement for the Caddy using an old coat hanger and some garden hose.

Drove it back to Yuba City just fine.

technomaNge

Reply to
technomaNge

Bet you couldn't pick up much on the radio that way, though! --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford