NMR: Mayonaise

NMR = Not Metal Related...

Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. It hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about the mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Morning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Morning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as------------ Sinko De Mayo.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks Joe, that was the best post that I've read on this newsgroup for serveral weeks.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Nice to see that old old old old old old old joke again, yawn.

GWE

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Well, I've never heard it and I think it's SWEET!!!

Reply to
Dick

And Mayonaise was actually made in Mahon, Menorca where it was " invented"

Just a thought, just a thought!

And the next place is Alayor- which we all know is Arabic for 'God With Us.'

Quote Xoroi- the One eared Arabic giant who kept a village maiden in a cave for many years- and was not discovered until it snowed.

Later, or so it is claimed- Lord Nelson bought a villa on the proceeds of his holiday insurance after losing an eye and an arm.

Comment! I didn't start the thread. No stones please- it was where ballistics were invented- 'Baleares'

Pub quizzers, take note

Norman

Reply to
norman

Because my mother, and SWMBO's mother too, always kept their opened Hellman's mayo in the refrigerator we followed suit, believing it would spoil quickly if left at room temperature.

I learned just a few years ago that commercially made mayo, like several other foodstuffs including honey, catsup matzo and maple syrup doesn't need refrigeration to prevent spoilage. Their chemical makeups or lack of moisture won't let bacteria live in them. When mixed with other foods like in an egg salad sandwitch, its the other stuff that "goes bad" when left at room temperature for a a day, not the mayo.

Commercial mayo is made from pasturized eggs and has enough vinegar in it to make it too acidic for bacteria to survive.

Hellman's says that storage at high temperatures will just affect the "fresh flavor", but they don't say that will turn it into something that would kill you if you ate it.

Don't try this with homemade mayo, it'll prolly spoil.

Jeff (Who still puts the Hellman's in the fridge regardless.)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Too funny.

I was buying that, hook, line and sinker. :-)

Lewis.

******
Reply to
limeylew

Reply to
Dick

Miracle Whip is not mayonnaise. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller