Metal-related question

I know some of you guys do not think too much of me due to my *past* behaviour here but I have a metal-related question I was hoping to get some advice on.

It has to do with painting metal....not actually building anything, although I *do* know how to weld.

I've got a couple of sturdy chairs with metal frames. I'm guessing they are steel frames and they are painted an ungodly combination of colours. I want to repaint them and bring them to *one* decent colour so I can use them in my home. What I am wondering is this.....

Do I prime them with a primer first before I paint them *or* can I simply paint them outright with a paint made for metal?

Thanks in advance for any replies Jaime

Reply to
Jaime

what did you do? Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

You should be able to just paint them with most any kind of paint. If I understand you correctly, you are painting the old paint, not the metal. So you don't need metal paint or primer. If there are large spots of bare metal, then clean and prime.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

There are no spots of bare metal. I am painting over old paint but since I've never painted metal before I was unsure of the correct way to go about it. I've got experience with wood but metal is unknown to me. Thanks for the quick answer Dan. Now I can head to Canadian Tire and get started this afternoon. Jaime

Reply to
Jaime

Greetings Jaime, Please remember this is rec.crafts.METALWORKING. So no questions or comments about metal or metalworking are allowed. Only off topic questions and comments. Especially political comments. Please direct your metalworking questions to the apprpriate group. But just to be courteous I will answer your question this one time. If the existing paint is sticking well already then just sand and paint. If paint is missing in some spots you may want to feather the paint around the missing paint and prime the area. If you use sandable primer then you can sand it after priming to get a smooth surface. Cheers, ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I have been painting small items lately and this is what I do. Brush off the dirt. Wirebrush off loose stuff. Wipe object with mineral spirits. Blow dry with compressed air. I like to brush paint and I have lots of those both in latex and alkyd or polyurethane. Lay on as many coats with good brush until lhe thing looks good from arm's length. Admire your work.When it doesn't smell anymore bring it into the house.

Reply to
daniel peterman

LOL T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

" If the existing

Let me add here that you need to wash/clean before sanding. Make sure to remove any wax, grease, or dirt before starting to sand. lg

Reply to
larry g

Alrighty. :-)

I'd better brush up on my politics then and find out who that Paul fellow is.

URL? ;-)

Any suggestions on the sandpaper I should use?

Reply to
Jaime

Okay, thank you Larry. I will do that.

Reply to
Jaime

Is mineral spirits the same as mineral oil or is that a different substance altogether?

Too bad that doesn't apply to my kids as well. :-)

Reply to
Jaime

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Thanks Karl.

Reply to
Jaime

Well, if you want a really smooth finish use wet or dry sandpaper with water. Start at 400 and progress to as high a number as you want. 600,

1200, etc. You can get it really smooth. ERS
Reply to
Eric R Snow