De-Chroming

Can anyone please tell me the best way to de-Chrome plastic parts, I have been told that brake fluid is good, but needs to be handled with care in case it eats the plastic. Any hints and tips would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Doug.

Reply to
Doug

Hi Doug, A somewhat less caustic method is to mix up some powdered detergent like Tide with water to a consistency a little thinner than toothpaste and soak the part or parts in it for a day or so. The "chrome" should peel or flake off with a little urging from an old toothbrush and warm water. Ol ' 45

Reply to
Ol' 45

=== Get an old bottle of mayo and fill it up with good ole household bleach. Drop your chrome parts in it and leave them there for about 24 hours. Should dissolve all of the chrome - not the lacquer used as a smooth surface for the chrome to adhere to. If you still have some chrome attached, repeat the process again and with rubber gloves on and an old tooth brush, brush away the remaining chrome. If there is still some chrome left on the parts, get your trusty No. 11 blade and gently scrape the pesky non conforming chrome off. Works for me all of the time.

Good luck.

Ray Austin, Texas ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Doug wrote: : Can anyone please tell me the best way to de-Chrome plastic parts, : I have not had any problems with the yellow can of Easy- Off oven cleaner.

Apply to one side, let sit over night, repeat to the other side. May require additional applications to get all of the chrome off.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Super fast & clean:

Check the reviews.........

Reply to
unamodeler

If I am going to paint the part, I do not bother to strip the chrome. I prime with Krylon primer, and it seems to have enough tooth with the metal that it does not peel off with reasonable handling. I then paint over the prime, and have had no problems.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Many thanks to all of you for your help in this matter I will give most of them a go and compare the results. I am always impressed by the help given on this message board and would like to thank you all again for your help.

Doug.

Reply to
Doug

Simple Green. Use full strength.

HTH

J>Can anyone please tell me the best way to de-Chrome plastic parts, I

Reply to
Jon Statsinger

on 6/16/2008 2:38 PM Jon Statsinger said the following:

I have pieces of model kit that are chromed and have been painted sitting in a tray of Simple Green. They were not needed parts, but some that were painted for testing purposes. They have been sitting in simple green for weeks. I can tell you that they are clean as a whistle, but sill painted and chromed.

Reply to
willshak

Doug, there are plenty of older UseNet threads covering this subject. Here is one:

the shorter URL version:
)

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Castrol Super Clean cleaner/degreaser. Soak over night. Can be reused.

Reply to
R. Franklin