NCR: Mayonaise

NCR = Not CNC Related...

Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. It hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about the mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Morning, which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Morning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as------------ Sinko De Mayo.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Okay. Here is machining content humorous misinformation (joke):

Bad advice for a student learning the trade (save it for an inquisitive foreigner?):

Small drill bits and endmill cutters are fragile, so you should turn them really slow in use or you'll break them.

Large cutters are stronger than small cutters, so you can use them at your machines highest spindle speed.

Aluminum cuts better hot.

When learning it is better to stay with soft and easy to machine materials like lead or copper. Stainless steel will work in a pinch because the high nickel content makes it free machining.

If your tool starts to chatter, you're feeding to fast. You should slow down your feed rate, increase RPM and take deeper cuts.

For your own safety, it is important to wear gloves when milling a part you're holding onto the table with just your hands.

Reply to
Polymer Man

Misinformation for sure; but humorous? Not even close. I can put a name and a face from my own experience with every one of those bits of alleged advice. Except the last one. I've never seen anyone try to mill a handheld piece of metal. I have, however, stood with my eyes bugged out and my mouth hanging open while a supposedly skilled foreman told a worker he should wear gloves while operating a hone. It seems the parts were knurled on the OD's, and would sometimes spin in the operators fingers, rubbing them raw. The foreman's solution was to protect the fingers with gloves.

In case you're wondering, I waited till the foreman had left, and then told the operator, in as much bloody detail as I could manage, what would happen when a glove caught on the hone's mandrel, and got wound around the mandrel with a hand trapped inside it. Then I showed the operator the correct way to use the size adjustment dial and the tension pedal on the hone. I have no idea what happened after that; but at least I never heard any screams comming from that part of the building.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon