I Apologize I had all but stopped buying from Midwest Steel and Aluminum

I had all but stopped buying from Midwest. While their pricing for one
off parts is decent their multiple piece (same size) starts showing
discounts at just two pieces and continues to discount further as your
order quantity increases. It seems very decent for a small shop like
mine on the face of it. Unfortunately they failed to fulfill orders in
even the rather long 14 or so days they claimed. I cancelled several
orders after waiting much longer than that. A decent price doesn't help
if you can't get stuff close to the estimated time. You can plan for a
long fulfillment time, but when its double (or triple) you just can't
plan for that. For the most part I had quite buying from them.
When I received an email on August 5th from Rochel Mengelkoch at Midwest
saying, "I wanted to let you know we are now operating 3 full shifts 24
hours a day; the great news is our lead-times are currently 1-3 days to
ship depending on the size of the order with most shipping within 2
days!" I was excited and I shared it several places i frequent. I'm
pretty sure I shared it here with you guys. I was excited at the
prospect of being able to get the specific stuff I needed more quickly
than the every other truck from Coast or the outrageous price from the
local metal yard.
I placed a small order on September 15th, Its past close of business on
September 22nd now and my order has not been shipped. Not counting the
intervening weekend or the day I placed the order we are approaching
double their new advertised lead time to process an order. Id any of
you were as excited as I was and placed an order with them I apologize.
It was not my intent to provide misinformation. I guess I'll be calling
Coast in the morning and letting them know to get some metal on their
every other week truck for me.
I have fired off an email to Rochel asking when the new 1-3 day order
processing policy will begin. I'll let you guys know, and I'll let you
know when my order is processed (or if I cancel it.)
Reply to
Bob La Londe
I apologize. I had all but stopped buying from Midwest Steel and Aluminum. While their pricing for one off parts is "okay" their multiple piece (same size) price starts showing discounts at just two pieces and continues to discount further as your order quantity increases. It seems very decent for a small shop like mine on the face of it. Unfortunately they failed to fulfill orders in even the rather long 14 or so days they claimed. I cancelled several orders after waiting much longer than that. A decent price doesn't help if you can't get stuff close to the estimated time. You can plan for a long fulfillment time, but when its double (or triple) you just can't plan for that. For the most part I had quit buying from them.
When I received an email on August 5th from Rochel Mengelkoch at Midwest saying, "I wanted to let you know we are now operating 3 full shifts 24 hours a day; the great news is our lead-times are currently 1-3 days to ship depending on the size of the order with most shipping within 2 days!" I was excited and I shared it several places I frequent. I'm pretty sure I shared it here with you guys. I was excited at the prospect of being able to get the specific stuff I needed more quickly than the every other week truck from Coast or at the outrageous price from the local metal yard.
I placed a small order on September 15th, Its past close of business on September 22nd now and my order has not been shipped. Not counting the intervening weekend or the day I placed the order we are approaching double their new advertised lead time to process an order. If any of you were as excited as I was and placed an order with them I apologize. It was not my intent to provide misinformation or mislead you. I guess I'll be calling Coast in the morning and letting them know to get some metal on their every other week truck for me.
I have fired off an email to Rochel asking when the new 1-3 day order processing policy will begin. I'll let you guys know what they say, and I'll let you know when my order is processed (or if I cancel it.)
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Hey! I just received a shipping notification. 7 full working days not counting the day I placed the order. 11 calendar days. Now I believe I know how to translate their claimed and published time to ship. 2-3 times the maximum of whatever they say. If in the future they improve I'll let you know, but I'm still not going to swing a lot of stock orders over to them. Just due to freight cost larger orders are usually cheaper from Coast.
Reply to
Bob La Londe