I JUST GOT A LINCOLN SP-100

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU GUYS OUT THERE HAVE ONE, IF SO WHATS
PRO'S AND CONS HOW THICK OF METAL HAVE YOU WELDED , CAN I EXPECT A
PRETTY DECENT QUILITY WELD I'M USE TO BIG FACTORY WELDERS SPRAY ECT.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT. OH YA ONLY GAVE 100.00 FOR IT
LIKE NEW
Reply to
crazy1158
SP 100 ? isn't that a flux core only machine ? $100 was not a bad deal . what are you wanting to weld ?
Reply to
acrobat-ants
That welder is only a flux core machine, it also cannot be converted to a gas welder at all. It is a good machine though as you can do some pretty good welds with it even outside in the winds. You should be able to do decent welds even up to approx. 1/4 inch metals but would be much better on .100 wall steels. Not the greatest for galvanized metal though. For heavier metals go to a gas welder that pushes out 135 amp. minimum. I will soon have a web page that tells you everything about all welders and what they are capable of doing at what amps and volts, as well what metals and thicknesses. As well as mig, tig, stick and torch use. I have been a welder now since 1973 and have had different tickets since. I have done stick welding on as fine a material as 20guage all the way up to 3" plate. I have taken boilermaker welding as well as pressure welding. I now own a small company in Saskatchewan Saskatchewan Canada called THOMAS' Wrought Iron Works. I can be emailed at snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net.
Reply to
Thomas
It said it welds ss,mig,alum,flux no i figure i didn't get hurt to bad i found lincoln electric had refurbished one's for 370.00, like to know how much when new i tried it out for a few, no argon yet innersheild fluxcore did't get very far becaus spit-n-sputter wire kept jamming in tip must be pretty good welder though for110 becaus inside panel it says 5/16" thick metal ,had a buddy who said he welded butt weld 1/2" thick stringer beads all the time on stuff said he even pulled bend test could'nt break it,5/16 thick,be nice if true but you know how some people streatch the truth a bit, well turning in for the night, if anybodys got any info or input on this welder would sure apprissiat it thanks"""
Reply to
crazy1158
is there diferant versians because mine has factory hook up in back for gas and chart inside says argon and co'2 have every thing with it but bottle' got me puzzled now???????
Reply to
crazy1158
hey guys told you sp-100 well got to looking its a sp-100t mabe thats why its got the extra's
Reply to
crazy1158
OK, sorry about that and yes there is different versions. Some of them also say gas but do not come with the hookups on them, good luck finding the hookups for them also. On the ones that do have the line on the back, you still have to buy the guages and tanks, which are not all that cheap. The gasses to use are at most suppliers in Canada and U.S.A.. For regular mig welding, just use what is called mig mix at most of the suppliers. In Canada I found the most reasonable priced shop was Acklands and there it is called mig-mix-gold, as well as at Air Liquide. Setting the gas to aroud 10 is usually the best as it makes your gas a lil bit longer and works perfect. Some machines are around the 15 mark but playing with it helps as all guages are not the same. As far as the line on the back of the welder, they are not usually worth shit, so, make sure you turn off the tank after you are done or goodbye gas when you come back in the morning or on some a few hours later.
Reply to
Thomas
The SP-100T is basically the same welder that Home Depot sells as the Weld Pak 100HD:
And Lowes sells it as the Pro-Core 100:
And Northern Tool & Equipment sells it as the 115 Weld-Pak:
All 3 of those are the flux-core version and require a kit to use gas and solid wire which you apparently already have. The gas-ready version is probably still available but I'm not sure where.
Over the years that welder has been sold as several different models such as the Weld-Pak 100 in a fluxcore version and the MIG-Pak 10 with the gas kit included.
Realistically you can expect decent welds with gas on mild steel up to 1/8" or 3/16" or so and with fluxcore you can probably do 3/16" or maybe 1/4". I've seen two older models at auctions recently that had a continuously variable voltage control but most of them, including the SP-100T (I believe the T stands for "tap") have the 4 or 5 position voltage switch.
You can get complete specs from the Lincoln site at:
and download an owner's manual if you don't already have one from:
It includes a schematic and a basic how-to section.
You did good for $100!
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).
Reply to
Keith Marshall
My first welder was the SP-100 (without the T). I have only used it for fluxcore, but it comes ready to add a flowmeter and gas. Of course the polarity has to switch and change to solid wire. I have always run 0.030 wire which is a bit hotter than gas shielded which takes away some of the heat. Works great for 1/8" or less. Beyond that, I go to the 200 amp stick machine on DC.
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick
Just converted mine about a year ago. Got the kit from Home Despot as local Lincoln dealer refused to even look up the price and available but "figured" about $150 plus CO2 tank would do it.
HD was $92.
Our local HD no longer carries the kit as the current version comes pre-installed but have a local farm & home chain that had them last week for $95.
Best results with .025 wire when using CO2.
Hugh
Reply to
Hugh Prescott
the SP 100, SP 135 are great fence building machines being 110V, portable , fluxcore is all you need. for a $100 you got a good deal !!!!
Reply to
acrobat-ants
Yea I have an older sp-100 it's quite the wire feeder I thought when I first got it it was set up with solid.030 wire and gas. The gas was empty and it still threw a nicer bead than flux core.I've welded anything from truck exaughst to water boiler water jackets have used it to weld half inch but it was a corner fusion and although it works it isn't economic.just got argon gas tank I'll let ya know how well it welds aluminum,welds galvanized pretty decent also
Reply to
the hayseed
I have had my Lincoln SP 100 for 15 years and it came with the gas bottle regulators. I don't know what someone is saying that it can't be used with gas. I usually use .023 wire but also use .035 wire and have excellent results with either. I asked about buying the spool for welding aluminum and was told it didn't have the power to really weld aluminum so I don't do that but have welded stuff over 1/2" think just take it in layers and have never had bad results. I have the tips that press into the stinger instead of thread into them like some of the newer models and that is where I am now looking for a conversion kit to replace the stinger so it will use the threaded tips as I can not get the old ones anymore.
Reply to
jimmy hall