Sorta NMR: Motorcycles Anyone?

NMR = Non Metalworking Related

This contains some metalworking content, but not enough for me to really feel comfortable leaving it generic...

I've got a friend selling two Kawasaki Concours motorcycles... One was damaged in a fall about two years ago but is just about totally fixed... Registered and insured. Street legal except for a non-functioning blinker I think. The second is a running parts bike.

I'm thinking about making a commuter bike out of it - sort of a "naked connie cruiser" thing... Looks won't matter. Just the huge gas tank, lower insurance and no real concern for the condition or cleanliness of the machine other than safety checks, etc.

Anyhow... I know there are folks here who ride. If anyone wants a shot at these, I won't feel bad letting it go to someone who would actually make use of it, because I probably would buy them and let them sit for three years and then re-sell them anyhow... Just too darn busy these days. I have photos.

Anyone ever actually bought a spare bike and made use of it like this or do you guys think I'm wasting my time? The only real work I would do it the machine would be to remove the stock fairing, add an aftermarket headlight, signals and gauges and make it the "naked cruiser" that I think it would look great as... It needs a shield around one coolant hose that the fairing protects and maybe the radiator... Or I could leave the fairing and be like everyone else...

Some minor fab... Nothing major...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

If you're going to commute on it, consider where and when you will be riding. If it's highway, and you're going to be serious about it (ie, will you leave home on the bike when it's raining? Will you ride if you're pretty sure it will be raining by the end of the day, even if it isn't in the morning? What's your cutoff temperature going to be?) or there are more than about 20 highway miles, consider leaving the fairing on. You can always take it off later.

The concours as such is not a bad commuter bike for highway use.

For local backroads commuting my bike of choice has become a dual sport, Kaw KLR250. Light, comfortable, eminently dirt-roadable, easy on gas, and can do limited highway excursions.

OTOH street fighter/rat bike conversions are pretty tasty.....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Have you ridden it? I (being big into lotsa range and carrying space) thought I wanted one until I test-rode one. Two things - an amazingly effective heat the rider effect (good for winter, perhaps), and a Very Tall, Very Top-heavy bike. I brought it back, muscled out of it trying to make me buy it by trying to fall over (did I mention top-heavy and tall?) in the driveway, got back on my UJM with too-small gas tank and air-cooled motor, and rode off to look for something better behaved.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I ride 35 miles each way. 28 on the highway... I ride in all weather conditions except icy roads... But I've considered that. Cut-off temperature for me has always been around 25 F. but with a Connie, I'm hoping I can get plug-ins... Rain won't stop me, but snow covered roads would...

Exactly. I have a Valkyrie now so I'm trying to maintain my dignity. :)

I would LOVE a KLR. A friend has the 650. Too tall for me even lowered... The 250 would be perfect if I didn't weigh in at 260 lbs... But I'm working on that.

And the Connie seems like the perfect bike to make one out of IMHO. Can you say temptation? Heck... I'd cover all vitals in aluminum "skin" and make it a true "weird" bike that works wonders.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I've ridden one... Not extremely comfortable for me, but then again, I'm comparing it to my 400-500 mile days on the Valkyrie...

It might be a bit tall for me. That is one mod. I'm looking at. Lowering it by an inch or so... Maybe two. Since it's a commuter bike, the seat doesn't matter much to me. Might consider shaving it down to bare bones and dealing with it for the measley 45 minute ride.

I like the fact that I can go to and from work more than once without refueling and that the power and speed are comparable to my regular ride - but in a slightly more sporty form...

But... It IS top heavy. I've got strong legs... But in winter, you've got to be real careful. Think it'll receive knobbie tires? LOL...

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Speaking as someone who has ridden in the snow; avoid it. Knobbies won't do much for you on the road. A third wheel might help. I think you could do better (given your pre-judgement that if you need to do too much with it you'll just sit on it for a few years and end up selling it) starting with a bike that fits better, rather than frigging with one that starts out uncomfortable. Given the length of your commute and your stated weight, you could do fine on less gas with a 500-650 as a commuter - no problem hauling two people at highway speeds on a 650, and they suck less fuel than a 1000 doing the same job. Fab a monster tank (or dredge one up at the boneyard) if you can't find one with a tank big enough to suit; but 140 mile range (two trips to work and back) is quite feasible from stock.

If you do drop some poundage, a 350-400 offers great range by virtue of sipping gas while still needing to have a respectable-looking gas tank in place from the factory. There were some nice dual-sport 350's available in the '90s - presumably the same ones still are (used), I have not paid much attention to what's coming out (new, overpriced) now.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I was considering a used VStrom 650... Has the gas tank already for close to 300 miles on average and is as "quick" as the Valkyrie up to around 75 MPH. Then it starts to loose out... But has plenty of "insert data here" to please me all around.

I can get 140 miles on the Valk... But I'd love a 200+ mile tank. Fabbing a monster tank could be fun... Especially if I got creative with the shape and all. :)

The KLR250 someone mentioned is awesome... And I suppose I could take the backroads to and from work even if it does add an additional 15 minutes to the commute. After all, I['m on a bike, right?

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

You are mixing two different criteria here Joe..reliable transport and cosmetics. While they may together inhance the "riding experience", they do not necessarily correspond.

I road a stripped down Goldwing for some years. Ugly as hell, but reiliable as an anvil. (and about the same handling). I then went to a Honda VF-700. Fairly reliable..and clean..but made my back hurt on each daily 90 mile ride.

Then I went to a old R90/6 BMW. Totally reliable, needed paint, etc etc..but thats all I needed. Reliability. The simple fairing was a requirement for rain/fog, but I never looked through the badly fogged plastic..but rather over it. I seldom washed it..prefering to use a putty knife every 6 months or so to remove the layer of bugs one picks up when riding 90 miles daily through farms and planted fields, and the layer of coyote one also tends to pick up.

But it was my daily driver for over 5 yrs and frankly..I didnt care what it looked like...Im not into the Biker Lifestyle.

If its dead nuts reliable, and will get you from points A to B..and do so safely..(it IS a motorcycle)...then go for it. All else is icing on the cake. If you want pretty..get a custom Harley. If you want reliable..there are far better choices than Harley. I dont know much about the bike in question so cannot answer to its specific reliablity.

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Have you considered looking for a ratty but reliable BMW boxer?

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Reply to
Gunner

Nah. I'm wondering out loud whether the additional "stuff" that you see as cosmetics might enhance the riding experience during different seasons or protect the vitals that were under the fairing to begin with.

Ahh... The Goldwing must have been something like my current ride - Valkyrie. Except with less power. :) Don't really know what I would do on the VF. I borrowed a Hayabusa for three weeks recently. LOVED the power. Hated the seating position and the constant threat of jail time and large tickets... It was too easy to suddenly find yourself doing 20-30 MPH over the limit.

Most of the time, I would have to totally agree. I ride for the enjoyment and dress for safety whenever possible. However, I also like a reliable machine for the safety too... So I wash it once in a while to see what might be broken, missing, loose, etc.

My Valk is kept sparkling clean - just like I'd keep a Ferrari if I could own one. It's my hobby - my fun - my mistress.

Agreed!

Harley... Not for me. I like to ride, not suffer. :)

...Now all the Harley guys hate me....

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

This sounds familiar. My cutoff is 20F, below that it's too much like work. I only have to go 14 miles each way so that helps too.

Knobbies don't work on snow. You need studs or chains.

A small amount of snow (dusting) isn't a problem, but slush or snow melt (clear runoff from snow banked up by the roadside, basically melt water that will re-freeze hard, thin, slick and nearly invisible) is. I'd consider leaving the fairing on to start.

I recently purchased a '78 bmw R100RS, which a former owner had stripped of the stock full fairing. A buddy gave me an "S" fairing - of R90S fame - and though it's small it gives a suprising amount of protection. You can purchase a small bikini fairing like that from aftermarket sources (see dennis kirk, etc) very very inexpensively for possible retrofit if you do remove the stock concourse bodywork.

If you do decide to go with a dual sport, tires are critical. You can't really ride safely on road with knobbies, it's just too much work. Get some 50/50 on-off road tires (I run metzler sahara3s) and the road performance is truly amazing. Granted you sacrifice off-road ability (dirt or gravel roads are about the limit) but in dodgy weather conditions or uncertain tracion situations on the road, I'd much rather be on the KLR than any of the other bikes I own.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

No. Heard too many negative things about the heads being exposed and the fact that maintenance is expensive when needed. Plus, the cost is right for this bike... I don't think I can find two BMW boxers for $1500 in running condition around these parts.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I'd ride in colder weather, but it usually isn't feasable to dress properly when going to work. The stay-puff marshmallow man look doesn't work well and I want to keep my riding gear clean so throwing it on the floor here at the shop doesn't work for me.

Heated gear is next... But I'm too busy to wire it properly right now... Yes... That busy during my "free" time.

I've ridden in snow before, but I was a teen and it was a smaller 2 stroke off-road bike... I can imagine that any street machine short of a very small dual-sport would be difficult to handle... It was somewhat of a joke that I'd ride in real snow.

I've dealt with that the past few winters... As long as it isn't a terribly large runoff, it is usually manageable.

But it is so darn UGLY... I love the look of the bike with no fairing. I'll shoot you - or anyone else photos if they want to see it. I'm not married to it yet, but it is a great bike for the moolah.

I'm the guy you see in the winter with no fairings, no heated gear and no protection other than clothing... Doing 500 miles in high 20's.... I like the wind. It's like flying when you have wind and like being a passenger without it IMHO. But that's my preference.

The KLR650 rear knobbie lasta bout 3000-5000 miles max.... I'd go for dual-use tires myself. Thanks for the tip!

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I know this is the wimpy answer, but I certainyl don't need that. I need the Honda dealership about 5 miles from my home. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Where is your sense of adventure, Joe? 6 counter-interactive adjustments don't sound like your idea of a good time?

(synching 2 or 3 carbs is enough for me...)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think I'd rather hit my thumb with an old fashion hammer...

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Oooh, did that once. 22 oz framing hammer, dimpled (Estwing). Was up on a ladder nailing in the hurricane tiedowns (hold rafters to the top plate) while I was building the house. My fire pager went off and I was distracted during a swing. Hurt so bad my eyes crossed. Decided not to go on that particular call, and instead to stay home and swear a lot.

Oddly enough that hammer has dissapeared.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think it found it's way to my thumb.... er.... tool box.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

The 250 is very modest in power compared to the 650. But the metzler compound is pretty soft, it's real sticky on the road but does wear fast. As the tread goes away, the tires get worse and worse off-road, the tread blocks get pretty rounded off.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The Bing CV carbs are very stable and forgiving. To put this in perspective, I rebuilt the carbs on my red bike about, er,

10 years ago. I've literally not had to touch them since then - and that event was preciptated by one of the CV diaphragms holing through.

BMW boxermotors are about the most solid, reliable, forgiving machines around - given that you are talking about /6 and above vintage, and before the oilhead boxers. The more vintage stuff, up to about '71 or so, has some quirks. I run four of them on a regular basis, it's an economy of scale thing.

For a naked commuter bike it's not a bad choice. There's a fair example of typical bikes and prices here, look under "bikes for sale, airhead twins:"

You *should* be able to find a mid-70s /6 for around $1.5K or so.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen