reliable gas grill lighter?

Hi folks. I would like to stop using wooden matches to light my gas BBQ grill. My grill came with a little red button piezio? gizmo that you push to light the grill. The "red button" worked for maybe two seasons, and now I just use a match or three to light the grill.

I would like to make a device which mounts in the aluminum body of the grill and uses a flint from a welding torch lighter and a wheel which you spin by hand. (sort of like a cigarette lighter, but a little more robust)

Maybe something like this already exists, but my Google searches have bore no fruit.

anyone have any design ideas? I have acess to a lathe and a tig welder, and other basic shop stuff.

One problem I can see is what happens to the flint after the grill lights. Probably has to be retractable somehow.

Love to hear what you folks think Thanks, Andy Lynn,MA

Reply to
andy

Just clean up the metal around where it wants to spark to. Rust doesn't conduct as well. Give it a shiny spot and the spark will do what you want.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Those piezo units *are* one of the most reliable lighters. Failures are almost always damage to the wiring from the piezo unit to the spark electrode or rust or other damage to the spark electrode.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have a Vermont Castings, and it has worked first time every time for three years now. For my others, I use a 99 cent store butane.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

When the piezo-striker for my torch quits, I am always able to get it sparking again by cleaning the soot away from the electrode. Any conductive path will bleed off the 'lectricity.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Drop-in piezo ignitor replacements are readily available, I've seen them in the grill sections of most of the big box home improvement and hardware stores. Like $4-5. Unless they get overheated and slagged down, they are extremely long-lived. Check the wiring, the tip and where it sparks to. Clean and regap as needed. It sometimes helps to operate it in the dark, you can see where the spark is leaking off.

Or just buy a butane grill lighter at the dollar store, tie it to the grill on a lanyard and get on with things. Even empty, it'll still do the trick.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Search for "lantern lighter," it is exactly as you describe. Maybe $3-4. You might want to make a longer handle for it, though. I suspect you could make an extension by cross-drill the existing handle and adding an appropriate length of tubing that just fits over it, with a cotter pin through the drilled hole. You may or may not need some sort of brace for the other end depending on how long an extension you make...could be something as simple as a wiretie not tightenned up all the way.

If you try it, let us know how well it works (or doesn't). --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford