Barbecue Grill burner replacements

I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

After 8 years, the iron burners on it rotted considerably. As I look for replacements, I see "cast iron burners" available at many websites. Example is here:

I was hoping to find stainless burners so that the new ones would not rust. Realistically speaking, is that "cast iron" any more rust resistant than the original material, or are they also going to rot?

Ignoramus11443

The burners and grills are considered "consumables" and are expected to be replaced as needed.

Reply to
RAM³

"RAM³" wrote

The stainless steel burners on my Vermont Castings are as good as new after

12 years. So are the porcelain coated cast iron grates. You need to buy a better grill if you think they are consumables.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why wouldn't anyone want to sell stainless burners for my grill? These burners seem to fit a lot of grills, and therefore there is enough market to make stainless burners. I would pay the premium.

Ignoramus11443

unfortunately, it is wrong shape.

Reply to
Ignoramus11443

I worry about 'burning' chrome and nickel into the flame and thus into the food.

Carbon iron - as it would be are common elements to the body so if you get some extra carbon or iron you get richer blood or cast it off.

Mart> I have a stainless steel grill that we bought from Sam's Club.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I'm trying to figure out why anybody would go to all this trouble for a gas grill... The grill in my new outdoor kitchen is charcoal, as God intended.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

You can buy various shaped and sized SS burners at any Walmart:

DT

Eight years on a set of burners is not bad.

I have a SS grill that I bought in 2005. It gets moderate use....maybe a once or twice a week on average.

My grill has three cast brass burners....One is now split along the line of gas flame location holes and needs to be replaced.

I can get brass ones ($150 for a set) or cast iron ones for less than half. I doubt that cast iron will perform that much worse than the brass did.

Cast iron is a pretty decent material for a burner...but there are "good" cast irons and "bad" cast irons.

I'm guessing that your original iron burners were cast iron.

Replacement SS burners can vary widely in performance. Spraying water on the grill to keep the flames down will severely reduce the life of SS burners.

Per the other post.........burners are consumables.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Wel, I don't know where you're at, but pretty much all the big-box home improvement places here carry replacement grill burners in stainless 12 months of the year and a good number of the regular hardware stores do in season, meaning once they drag the mowers out. A grill cover does wonders for weathering on grill innards, too. Getting one of either off the shelf to fit your existing grill is the trick. Haven't seen cast-iron burners for anything but fish cookers, though. Haven't had rust problems on my example of those, yet, just gets oil on it and in it every once in a while from a boiling pot. I did paint it with high-temp exhaust paint, though. Check Ace, True Value, HD, Lowe's, maybe Sears/K-Mart, WalMart, Menard's, whatever you've got. Somebody's got to have them.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

This is true. In Heaven they use charcoal. They considered using propane, but had a hard time running the supply hose that high.

You can tell when they are grilling because the rain is grey.

Reply to
mm

And good and bad stainless steel I read in a recent thread in AHR.

Amd any other kind, right? I never understood keeping the flames down. That's the exciting part of grilling.

Reply to
mm

Nothing tastes as good as using briquettes. I'm curious what would happen if I used some of the home made charcoal I made a while back with to cook a steak. Would the home made stuff burn cooler or hotter?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Because you got 8 years out of much cheaper iron ones in an inexpensive grill from Sams club. That 8 years probably exceeds the life expectation of the whole unit for a low to mid-range priced grill.

Reply to
trader4

Real charcoal is better than briquettes - no coal dust, so no coal smoke. I don't know that it's any hotter, but it certainly starts nicer. Or you can cheat the charcoal production process and just build a wood fire and let it burn down.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

8 years is a long life. You must not cook very often.

The SS burners are about as good as it gets. The cast iron will crack over time. The chrome will go faster. On the average I get about 3 years from a SS burner which is used about 48 weeks per year in all kinds of weather. The cast iron lasted about the same amount of time. I suspect the heat cool cycles in colder weather affected that sine cast burners on stove last for many years.

I had a hard time accepting that they meant to be a consumable product.

I suggest a Google search using both the model name and number and with just one of each. That looks like a proprietary design so you may not have a lot of choices.

Reply to
Colbyt

If you made a good quality charcoal it will burn with about the same temperature. I'm not sure how "modern" charcoal is made but I suspect by heating in some sort of oven in a neutral atmosphere, which is essentially what you did except you probably buried the wood and poked a little hole in the dirt to let the gasses out.. You might have ended up with a slightly lower carbon content but it probably won't be enough different for you to notice it.

John B. Slocomb

Reply to
John B. Slocomb

There are grill stores n many major citys.

I had a impossible to find burner, in my moms old grill which I keep around because of sentimenta reasons, and beyond that its a very high BTU unit with lava rock which I prefer.

I took the old burner in and they found a replacement in stock.

A burner no one else had.......

Reply to
hallerb

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:12:45 -0500, the infamous Wes scrawled the following:

Oh, bullshit, guys. I switched over to propane 3 decades ago and didn't notice one whit of difference--if there isn't a metal pan between the flame and the grille. Lava rock is wonderful. I do, however, notice a whole lot of difference in the environment around a charcoal BBQ. Nobody can breathe downwind of one for several blocks. I hate charcoal briquettes with a passion. They stink, they're messy on the way in and on the way out, they take forever to get hot and cool down, ad nauseum. Just Say No! ;)

BTW, I'm surprised that eco-terrorists (environmentalists) haven't caused briquette companies to go out of business yet.

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used some

the home made

And natural gas, of course, is even better.

Ignoramus8246