Another OT barbecue question

Sometimes, my barbecue flames will come on at low, even if I turn the pointer to high. If I shut the valves and close the tank, and then open up the tank, and open the valves and light, it will come on and go up to high. It's like the OPD inside is resetting or something. Anyone have this experience? What's wrong, anything, or do I just go through the motions again when it does this?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yep, that is the OPD acting up.

Reply to
Steve W.

Is it defective, or just in a kinky position from handling? Anything that I should have the tank exchanged out about, or just take the extra 30 seconds?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Probably just from handling. They can be a real PIA some times. I have had some of them trip and block the flow when you first open the valve due to the rapid gas flow when it fills the lines. Have also seen them act up if the tank wasn't perfectly level.

Reply to
Steve W.

You just answered your own question. And stated the solution too!

When you have the burner valves on and crank the tank valve open fast, the surge of high-pressure gas from the tank trips the excess flow safety valve in the LP tank outlet neck, and you only get a trickle of gas out the bypass pinhole.

When you close the burner valves and leave the tank valve open, that little trickle of gas through the bypass pinhole allows the pressures to equalize, and the excess flow safety valve reaches equilibrium on both sides and a spring pops it open again, all automatically.

Then you can BBQ normally - but if the BBQ gas sysem breaks or the tank hose pops (Big Leak) the safety will trigger again and catch it.

If you have a roofing burner, you need to open the blast valve slow.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Also a regulator problem.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Ah! Thanks! Thats how those bastards work. Ive never bothered to look it up before.

Thanks!

Gunner

Gunner Asch

"Normal" BBQ requires wood on fire and making smoke to flavor the meat.

Gas grilling is not much different than using the broiler in a kitchen range.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"SteveB" fired this volley in news:ame9t6-6d52.ln1 @news.infowest.com:

Grill? A barbecue burns wood.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yankee parlance. We got in trouble in Michigan when we discovered that in local usage, "barbeque" means grill some weiners and pre-smashed hamburgers. Wife corrected host (corporate bigwig) on proper usage, heard about from bigwig several times. I started having barbeques we'd recognize as a means of getting something good to eat and a form of diplomacy.

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I was at a barbecue at the park, for independance day. One of the fellows had only tiny flames at his grill, and we had no clue what happened. Sounds like the OPD got jostled into closed position. When are we going to fight for independance from excess government regulation from Washingmachine DC? The Redcoats and King George of England never tried to regulate our propane tanks like that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes I scare myself.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Cherry makes a really nice smoke ... and some very good pork shoulders . Dry rub (my own) then smoke it low and slow . Done when you can twist gently and the leg bone comes out in your hand .

Reply to
Snag

I have a friend that has a kick ass smoker. I visited last month and he smoked up a bunch of stuff for a big party.

His technique was to smoke it for several hours and then transfer the meat into the oven and bake it the rest of the way done.

I wasn't paying attention to all of the details, but I think the oven part was from about 1:00 A.M. till 10:00 A.M. and if I remember correctly he wrapped it in foil really tight.

Both the pork and the beef were wonderful melt in your mouth YUMM.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I remember that cherry leaves release cyanide when eaten. Don't know about the wood, or what happens when you smoke them - (er, make that "when you use them to smoke meat").

Joe

Reply to
Joe