making a burner for a gas grill

Greetings
I have an old gas fired table top model grill. Cast Aluminum with a milled flat top. I've had it for fifteen years, and am unable to find
_any_ maker marks or trade marks or the like. So - I can't identify it.
    But I like it, works well. or it worked well, till the burner gave up. Split open. "No Problem" I'll just get a replacement. Only the replacement is a little large, but it fits - barely. The old one is 2 3/4 by 12 1/4 while the new one is 3 1/2 by 15 1/2. With a little tweaking, it all went together.
    But I can't get it to stay lit. Even with the regulator cranked wide open - no joy. Least breeze seems to blow it out. I suspect that it is set up to burn more gas than the regulator can provide. So, I am considering options.     1) Find a proper sized one. I'm not sure where, but that seems to be a long shot.     2) too many holes in the new burner, so plugging some of the holes might help.     Tooth picks would work, at least at the beginning. If I had a torch I could solder some of them closed. Maybe muffler cement and something to hold it in place. I think duct tape isn't going to work.
    So, option three: make one. Sheet metal seems to be the best option, and if I can figure out a mandrel it might work. Hmmm - bolt two pieces together, with a spacer ... is aircraft grade AL a good idea?     That's going to be a lot of drilling, but ...
any suggestions on how to go about this, or where I might be able to find out more about finding Real Replacement Parts? That milled top means I can fry onions on the top while it heats up and the burgers do their thing, which is one reason I don't want to just run out and get a replacement.
--
pyotr filipivich.
As an explaination for the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once

Talk to the guys at Texas BBQ. What they don't know about BBQ grills hasn't been thought to of yet.

    Long way to go (I'm up near the Canadian Border) but shall attempt to check them out.
--
pyotr filipivich

If you still have the old burner maybe you can estimate the total area of all the orifices using a proper sized drill bit. That might give you a better idea of what you need to do to modify the replacement.
(PDT) typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    I have the old burner, or rather the two halves. The bottom half is in pretty good shape, but the top half burned out ... I could just make anew top and see how that works .... Thanks for the inspiration.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
If it's feeding too little gas, sounds like the orifice is clogged, or too small.

    I'll have to check for that. I suspect more of a case that the new burner has more capacity than the old. Hmmm - how to test?
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
On 7/10/2010 9:10 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:

(...)
Do we know that the burner is compatible with natural gas? http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-convert-a-gas-stove-to-propane.htm
--Winston

    If I switched to natural gas, I would have difficulty using it as a table top model, which is what it is.
--
pyotr filipivich

You could drill the burner orifice oversize and see if that results in an acceptable flame.
(See fourth picture down:) http://mobilehomerepair.com/article18gasgrill.html
--Winston

    The suggestion was made to flatten a tin can and put holes in that.     "That's an idea!"
pyotr
Mind, I didn't say it was a "good idea"
--
pyotr filipivich

(...)
It's my thick California accent, isn't it? :)
--Winston

    Maybe. Furshur.
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Is there a chance that the orifice is made for Natural Gas? Propane needs a smaller orifice.
On 7/11/2010 11:08 AM, DanG wrote:

The orifice is part of the gas valve assembly, not the burner, yes? (See fourth picture down:) http://mobilehomerepair.com/article18gasgrill.html
Our symptom appears to be a 'lean' mixture, not 'rich'.
We need to drill the orifice to supply *more* gas to the replacement burner (which is 61% bigger than the original).
pyotr > The old one is 2 3/4 by 12 1/4 while the new one pyotr > is 3 1/2 by 15 1/2.
(...)
pyotr > I suspect that it is set up to burn more gas than the pyotr > regulator can provide.
I believe you are on the right track, Pyotr. Groovy!
Drill baby, Drill!
--Winston

    Maybe I can just plug the holes from the outside. Fewer holes, less gas needed
--
pyotr filipivich

(...)
Notice how the flame travels 'domino fashion' from hole to hole when you light the burner? What would happen if half the holes were plugged and there was a delay of say 45 - 60 seconds until the 'rear bank' of holes finally lit?
Whoomp! _Skillets In Space_
--Winston

    Been there, done that - one more reason for heavy skillets, and the like.
    What I figure to do is plug the holes on the end, so that hte flames are not reaching the actual wall. But you raise a good point - lighting after this modification. Could be a wee tad more energetic.
    I will have to ponder this carefully.
--
pyotr filipivich
On 7/12/2010 12:05 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
(...)

http://www.gasngrills.com/grill-parts/grill-parts-by-brand-name.html
I know the cooker isn't marked WRT brandname, but you might be able to pick out a more compatible burner anyways.
Here are 582 pictures to look at: <http://www.gasngrills.com/index.php?subcats=Y&type=extended&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&cid !&q=burner&x=0&y=0&dispatch=products.search#11>
--Winston <-- Mr. Helpful

    On a dial up connection????? I mean, I'm patient, but not that kind of patient.
    Okay, thanks, saved for the faster connection.
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich