making a burner for a gas grill

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Like "lighter fluid."? You put that crap on charcoal?

No wonder you 'think' you don't like charcoal.

Do you lick the gas nozzle after fueling your car?

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Doesn't everyone?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, is the charcoal taste good or bad? Because I put the words "charcoal taste" in a search and then some websites say the charcoal taste is good and others say its bad and say hot to get rid of it.

Reply to
mogulah

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

'Bad' charcoal tastes bad. Briquettes of almost any brand have a slightly funky flavor, due partly to the binders they use. Some really taste bad, partly because some of them actually use 'industrial carbons' (like coke) as burn-time extenders.

If I use charcoal at all, I use only lump charcoal now. I long used briquettes, but switching to lump charcoal made all the difference. And I make most of my own, because I want charcoal with some of the natural resins still there (for more 'real wood' flavor).

I'm most partial to working natural wood up into a clean fire, then transferring those (already burning) coals into the cooker.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Larry Jaques on Fri, 04 Mar 2016

18:18:22 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

A valid response, I must admit.

Yep.

pyotr filipivich

Anybody answer the question about making a burner for that propane grille?

Stainless steel pipe, welded together to the proper shape with proper holes drilled in the right places works pretty good. Pipe outlasts thin tubing or stamped sheet metal by a large margin.

Reply to
clare

I don't think so, but I filter a lot.

I've had more center plates and outer shells rust out than I have burners, but I continue to use the tabletop models. A decade is good enough for me, for the most part, since they cost

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Perhaps, because it use it so little compared to natural wood, I've had a commercial "replacement" propane burner in my cooker for over eight years, with no particular signs of deterioration. I cook a lot of BBQ, because it's "nature's most perfect food".

The burner is over to one end of the big, top chamber, just for (thermostatically-controlled) maintenance of the cooking temperature on long-duration cooks, for when I fail to keep up with the coals. (like when I fall asleep or have one beer too many on an overnight cook.)

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 12:38:35 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I dunno. But, OTOH, I've still a bunch of Ti tubing, from when an industrial buttload of "scrap" was donated to the tech school.

pyotr filipivich

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca on Sat, 05 Mar 2016 13:00:48 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Not really.

But then I found a full up grill by the road "Free". "Twill do..."

pyotr filipivich

A good friend of mine is a very good welder, and also very "cheap". Like me, that allows him to do a lot with very little money. He has replaced virtually every part of his propane grill except the cast aluminum fire-pot with stainless steel as the cheap steel has corroded away, and made new pipe burners as well. Work every bit as well as the originals and will "never" burn out.

Reply to
clare

I won't cook steak, London Broil, or some other meats any other way. BBQed pork loin chops are ta live for, as well.

I've been eyeing smokers for a year or two, but I just don't do that much meat to warrant one, with my hermitic lifestyle.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yeah, engineering and building heavy-duty replacements is the way to go.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You lucky duck. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Smoked meats freeze well . I do pork butts and turkeys , beef brisket has just gotten too expensive .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Larry Jaques on Sat, 05 Mar 2016

19:55:00 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yep.

And I'll have more if my bud doesn't get his stash from the shed when we remodel.....

pyotr filipivich

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:nbgapq$hr0$1 @dont-email.me:

Where I live, we have an 'old school' butcher. I can still get good (whole, though) brisket for about $3.50/lb. But only the whole thing, packer-cut... so there's a good three pounds of fat on a 17lb cut. I save the suet for other things that need it. We eat very little other fatty meats, so it's handy for 'touching up' other too-lean beef.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh