making a burner for a gas grill

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:07:38 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote the following:

(Dese ain't exactly _free_, Pete.)

I prefer bronze nekkid wimmenz, myself.

Puttin' in a pool, fountain, or garden, are we?

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

My point, zackly. Pyotr could cast a few of these out of found scrap and trade for as many classical camp stoves as he wants.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Larry Jaques on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 06:24:18

Some things are like white angora cats. Very nice to see in someone else's yard.

Garden is the plan, but first, I want to get about 200 yards and smooth it out.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

"Could" - not sure if I can do that any time soon. But ...

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:59:42 -0700, pyotr filipivich wrote the following:

200 yards of what, tape? Cottonwood fluff? Oh, _soil_. Gotcha. Must be a big ol' hole thar, sir.

-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:22:24

Sorry, Yeah, 200 yards of dirt. Filling a hole, leveling things a bit. Not so much leveling, as "smoothing". I don't mind a slopping yard, but one that 'drops off'. If I can't get the dirt in the next couple weeks - fagedabaoutit. I'll just lay down old rugs or something.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Count the number of holes and get the size of the holes befor you pitch the old one(S)

Reply to
dprom

Are you using natural gas for a burner that's jetted for propane?

Reply to
gray_wolf

A couple of years ago I complained about my Weber "Silver A" not getting hot enough. I cured it with a 0-10psi variable regulator, $15 from Amazon. The thing will hit 750F.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cool , err

I still have the beast, I just haven't had the time/resources to fix it. And I found a nice grill by the road with "Free" on it. The electric igniters had failed, so some one had used it as a charcoal grill? Some people ain't heard of 'matches'?

pyotr filipivich

pyotr filipivich fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't used a cooker without 'real wood' in it in a few years. It's just not the same with Kingsford! *yukk!*

Even when I grill, now, I make coals of wood, then transfer them to the pans. I've been 'out' of commercial charcoal for about two years.

I DO have a lot of homemade charcoal just awaiting cooking, though!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" on Thu, 03 Mar

2016 19:03:32 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Likes wise.

I made home baked charcoal )oak and madrona) for the incense burner - getting it lit and keeping it going is a problem. But next to zero ash.

pyotr filipivich

Hey, if it ain't cookin' with gas, it ain't a real BBQ. Propane is my favorite, with wood a distant second. Coal is evil shit. Ptui!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques on Thu, 03 Mar 2016

19:18:52 -0800 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Gas is good - turn it on, and you've got heat. Charcoal has it's claim to fame. You can start with pre-baked charcoal, or just build a fire and wait for the coals. Coal is not mean for cooking over, unless you're cooking in a closed pot. Although it might be interesting to try cooking over coke (which is "char coal" - coal with the icky stuff cooked out.

pyotr filipivich

Yeah, I imagine cooking over coal would be about like cooking over a burning tire or creosote telephone poles. And to me, gas is only used for something you're grilling for a few minutes (steak, fish). It ain't BBQ. Grilling longer is over charcoal (the real stuff, not Kingsford). BBQ is wood for all day.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I have to agree with you on the coal , I don't want it in my food . I'm about 50/50 on LPG vs wood ... some stuff just isn't that good cooked over gas . Gas is so much more convenient though ! I do cook some of my charcoal and I buy only natural chunk when I go commercial . I suspect that all the charcoal Lloyd makes doesn't end up in his grill ... Lloyd , do you select different species of wood for different purposes ? I have some black gum I'm going to cook up for making some BP , it's a lot like willow in density and other factors . Gotta find a decent standing dead hickory for grillin' , they seem to rot out quickly .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"Terry Coombs" fired this volley in news:nbc2ib$h4i$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Heh! You got me!

Yeah... I like both Blackjack Oak and Hickory for cooking, and they both make good charcoal, which if not overcooked, still yields the "wood flavor" I want in BBQ.

I have - um - 'other uses' for charcoal, too. To that end, I cook Yellow Pine, Willow, Paulonia, and Eastern Red Cedar.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

C'mon, Pete. You know what I meant when I was dissin' (char)coal.

I hated the mess and the smell. And I had neighbors upwind who would start their BBQ just as I returned home from work on hot summer days and turned on the whole-house fan, sucking massive amounts of carbon monoxide into the house as a result. I've hated charcoal since.

Propane is 105x easier on the environment. Just Do It!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It sure ain't easier on the taste buds, BUD!

I USE propane for long-distance maintenance on things like 20-hour briskets, but still with a real wood fire to do the initial cooking, and real wood coals to add to the smoking - all along; all 20 hours - even while the BBQ is cooking with 'mostly' propane heat.

Propane is 'tasteless' in so many dimensions it's hardly worth talking about!

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

It's fine on taste buds. That said, wood does add another dimension, but I've put hickory chips on the metal plate beneath the grill before and it worked...somewhat. ;)

That's why it's so _good_. It doesn't alter flavors, unlike charcoal and lighter fluid. Wood is a lesser evil and is a good backup.

Reply to
Larry Jaques