Razor spark scooter: what is that sparker?

My brother-in-law gave one of my kids a Razor brand sparking scooter last month. I've looked at the sparker thing and it appears to be a solid block of some soft metal. It isn't as brittle as sparker flints. It works really well at giving large trails of sparks along the sidewalk. I'm curious what the sparker is and if it could be used for simple home-made pyrotechnics (like sparkers from lighters can be: pull out the "flint" heat it in a flame until glowing, the spring from the lighter is good for holding the flint in a flame, then dash against a hard flame-proof surface: explosion of sparks).

Elijah

------ presumed metal content

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

You sure it isn't a rod of flint encased in a plastic molding?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Possibly something containing this springs to mind

David Billington

Just a guess, titanium, maybe? Grind that and you'll get a lot of sparks.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

Probably pot metal with ferrocerium mixed through it.

Reply to
Steve W.

Means your kid needs to lose 300 pounds, the scooter is bottoming out?

Probably something with Ronsonol flints that touch the asphalt.

.

Probably pot metal with ferrocerium mixed through it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From the writeup on Amazon.com selling them: "Spark Cartridge containing 5 flint pads for 20% more sparks than other brands on the market."

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reading the article on ferrocerium at wikipedia was enlightening. Seems like cerium (a rare earth metal) is really good at making sparks, and mixing other metals helps change the brightness, brittleness, etc.

Elijah

------ wondering how likely these scooters are to start fires

Reply to
Eli the Bearded