Craftsman shaving razor?

I've seen the topic of razor materials on sci.materials before but I just had to resurrect this thread of discussion. I use sensor xcell razors. I get 2 excellent shaves with one of these, followed by 4 tolerable shaves, followed by a really poor shave and then I toss the $1 sob into the trash. This means I spend nearly $50 a year on these damn things and only get a really good shave 30% of the time.

I want a non-disposable razor that will outlast me. No, I don't mean those straight razors of the 1800's. I want a non-disposable razor that works like a safety razor. I would have no problem spending $150 on such a razor if it gave me an excellent shave 100% of the time for decades of proper use.

I don't care if Gillette etc go out of business, I want a good shave ALL THE TIME damn it.

I have "craftsman" in the title because of their reputation for replacements. If it goes bad, take it back, get it replaced for free? That sort of arrangement would be stellar.

I presume these disposable bastards are made of stainless steel. About the only practical thing this material affords that super materials won't is flexibility and biocompatibility. Even with its flexibility I still cut myself on a dull blade around the chin and places where my face isn't very flat.

A super hard material like cemented tungsten carbide is probably not biocompatible, even with nickel binders. I'm not sure about binderless WC, or B4C, or TiC. How about a sapphire blade? Sapphire isn't hugely expensive and it can be polished and sharpened on a lap. I don't see why it wouldn't be biocompatible.

I think the flexibility issue can be resolved with a narrower blade. Xcell blades are 1.5 inches wide. How about a sapphire blade ¾ inches wide? It usually takes 4 passes to get a clean shave on an xcell, if I can do it in 2 with an ultra sharp sapphire blade, I'd be happy with it.

Sapphire's Vickers hardness is about 1400, stainless is about 200. Sapphire is only 7 times harder, how long do you think it would last?

-Scott

Reply to
aSkeptic

Did you ever hear of the Valet Autostrop?

Probably long out of production, but you might find one in a junk shop.

Reply to
Terry Harper

?ViewItem&item=2271067436
?ViewItem&item=2271769730

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Get a Rolls Razor. No longer made, but may be on ebay.

I've had one since the fifties - still works.

RT

Reply to
RThomp7367

Interesting.. Can these razors be sharpened? Is this the intended concept?

tnx for the info.

-Scott

Reply to
aSkeptic

Do you still prefer to shave with your antique rolls razor?

-scott

Reply to
aSkeptic

Yes, that's the whole point of it. The blade is put in the machine, whizzed to and fro a few times, and the stropping action sharpens it. The Rolls Razor is much the same, as I recall. They were the pain of early mornings in the ablutions when doing one's military service, as the aurtostroppers set up an awful racket for semi-conscious erks.

Reply to
Terry Harper

Any razor that you can sharpen the blade and get good carbon steel blades for can use a single blade for many years. A straight razor will probably last the longest. you need a sharpening jig, plate glass the proper diamond grits and bit of training to learn how to get a really sharp edge on a razor or razor blade but you can sharpen them much sharper than they come new in the box and keep them that way a very long time.

Reply to
Gordon Couger

I use an electic most of the time - the Rolls isn't as conveneint.

Reply to
RThomp7367