Craftsman shaving razor?

I've seen the topic of razor materials on sci.materials before but I just had to resurrect this thread of discussion. I use sensor xcell
razors. I get 2 excellent shaves with one of these, followed by 4 tolerable shaves, followed by a really poor shave and then I toss the $1 sob into the trash. This means I spend nearly $50 a year on these damn things and only get a really good shave 30% of the time.
I want a non-disposable razor that will outlast me. No, I don't mean those straight razors of the 1800's. I want a non-disposable razor that works like a safety razor. I would have no problem spending $150 on such a razor if it gave me an excellent shave 100% of the time for decades of proper use.
I don't care if Gillette etc go out of business, I want a good shave ALL THE TIME damn it.
I have "craftsman" in the title because of their reputation for replacements. If it goes bad, take it back, get it replaced for free… That sort of arrangement would be stellar.
I presume these disposable bastards are made of stainless steel. About the only practical thing this material affords that super materials won't is flexibility and biocompatibility. Even with its flexibility I still cut myself on a dull blade around the chin and places where my face isn't very flat.
A super hard material like cemented tungsten carbide is probably not biocompatible, even with nickel binders. I'm not sure about binderless WC, or B4C, or TiC. How about a sapphire blade? Sapphire isn't hugely expensive and it can be polished and sharpened on a lap. I don't see why it wouldn't be biocompatible.
I think the flexibility issue can be resolved with a narrower blade. Xcell blades are 1.5 inches wide. How about a sapphire blade Ύ inches wide? It usually takes 4 passes to get a clean shave on an xcell, if I can do it in 2 with an ultra sharp sapphire blade, I'd be happy with it.
Sapphire's Vickers hardness is about 1400, stainless is about 200. Sapphire is only 7 times harder, how long do you think it would last?
-Scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

Did you ever hear of the Valet Autostrop?
Probably long out of production, but you might find one in a junk shop.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk /
Terry Harper wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item "71042071 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item "71067436 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item "71139964 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item "71769730
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

Interesting.. Can these razors be sharpened? Is this the intended concept?
tnx for the info.
-Scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

shop.
Yes, that's the whole point of it. The blade is put in the machine, whizzed to and fro a few times, and the stropping action sharpens it. The Rolls Razor is much the same, as I recall. They were the pain of early mornings in the ablutions when doing one's military service, as the aurtostroppers set up an awful racket for semi-conscious erks.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk /
βœ–
Get a Rolls Razor. No longer made, but may be on ebay.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/3541/Rolls_Page.htm
I've had one since the fifties - still works.
RT
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RThomp7367) wrote in message

Do you still prefer to shave with your antique rolls razor?
-scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

Any razor that you can sharpen the blade and get good carbon steel blades for can use a single blade for many years. A straight razor will probably last the longest. you need a sharpening jig, plate glass the proper diamond grits and bit of training to learn how to get a really sharp edge on a razor or razor blade but you can sharpen them much sharper than they come new in the box and keep them that way a very long time.
--
Gordon
Gordon Couger snipped-for-privacy@couger.com

I use an electic most of the time - the Rolls isn't as conveneint.
Add pictures here
βœ–