Spark arrestors

Because he thought it would keep my neighbors happy (and the building inspector happy) our engineer has spec'ed a spark arrestor to go in the
powered exhaust system for our four forges. (Not that I expect much in the way of sparks off a coal fire, but there may be times when we want to burn charcoal.)
It's a $1000+ item. The fool thing has no moving parts. It works by disturbing the laminar flow so that the sparks lose their 'insulation', the pocket of warm air around them, and burn out quickly.
We pushed back and suggested that a bit of relatively fine screen at the throat of the forge hood and the fact that the air is passing through a big ol' squirrelcage blower ad the exhaust end should have the same effect, to which the engineer said. "Yeah, that should probably work." Jeeze.
Anyway, anyone have any experience in this department?
--
Carl West
Prospect Hill Forge: The Blacksmithing Classroom

Carl wrote:

We build firescreens in our shop. We stuffed a bunch of scrap screen into the stack on our coal forge to keep any sparks from setting the Katy Prairie afire when it's dry.
The screen was 10 mesh 304 ss.
--
Tom Stovall, CJF
Farrier-Artist-Blacksmith

Good to know. How long have you been successfully not setting fire to the Prairie?
How much is 'a bunch'?
- CW
Carl wrote:

The screen has been in the stack for seven or eight years.

Enough to completely fill about a foot of stack with wadded up scrap screen.

--
Tom Stovall, CJF
Farrier-Artist-Blacksmith
Carl wrote:

John O. Kopf wrote:

Sheesh indeed. I'm putting in another workshop shed soon (the others are full of raw material). At the moment I work outside with my forge and you can judge colours, but can't wait to have a nice dark work place and have an easier time.
The sun is really bright here at the moment and judging the colours on a hot piece of metal is really no joy, I scramble for shade on occasion, so I sympathise.
Regards Charles