spark test?

I have heard of a spark test. I know that I have a bar of 4340 steel, but I have "lost" it. I can't tell it for sure from some other stock that I have around. I have one bar that is still clean and bright despite the high humidity and condensation in the shop these days so I think that may be it, but I have heard of a spark test - basically, the sparks from grinding are different between different steels. Anything?

thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Maybe these will help:

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall