flint striker alternatives?

I found an old barbecue lighter out of a discarded unit. I have the button and wire lead. It does create a spark large enough to light a cutting torch. Has anyone made up a handle and end for such a lighter? I am searching for ideas. There is definitely the potential to shock oneself. I could feel a tingle through my gloves when I lit up the torch today using the bare unit. Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

"R. Zimmerman" wrote: (clip) Has anyone made up a handle and end for such a lighter? I am searching for ideas. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I do projects like this all the time--spend hours or days to make something I could have bought for $2. You can get a piezoelectric sparker with butane in the handle, meant for lighting barbecues, for next to nothing.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"R. Zimmerman" I found an old barbecue lighter out of a discarded unit. It does create a spark large enough to light a cutting torch. Has anyone made up a handle and end for such a lighter?

Yep, someone has done such a thing about 25 years ago. A magneto type torch lighter. Squeeze the handle on it and light a torch.

The one that I got had the name Grasshopper on it. Think that I paid about $15.00 for it.

Reply to
Dixon Ranch

Lots of ways to do this. One commercial unit is here.

In the past I've taken those long butane lighters and modified them for striker duty. Cut or grind away the excess shield around the end just leaving the small point that the spark jumped to. This exposes it enough that it works pretty well for a torch striker. BTW use a empty lighter for this due to the danger for explosion.

Best is the commercial made piezo striker that's been around for years. These have a ratcheting action that throws more than one spark making it easier to get it lit the first time. One thing about this style is that it doesn't take to being left out in the rain to well. Other than that they work great and are cheap.

Wayne Cook

"Wayne Cook" wrote: (clip) Cut or grind away the excess shield around the end just leaving the small point that the spark jumped to. This exposes it enough that it works pretty well for a torch striker. BTW use a empty lighter for this due to the danger for explosion.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I've used these without grinding anything away with no difficulty. There is no more danger of explosion with one of these than there would be lighting a barbecue with it.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

There's not till you have nice hot piece of slag land on the plastic tank and melt a hole in it.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I have made a couple of lighters that I use to light the propane torches that light the wood stoves. It is just a barbeque lighter and a small spark plug mounted on some

1.5 mm aluminum plate. Works well and did not take much time to put together. I drilled and tapped the hole for the sparkplug. The barbeque lighter fits in another hole and is secured with nut that is part of the lighter. I have the button and the spark plug gap on the same side of the plate. A short wire connects the output of the barbeque lighter and the electrode of the spark plug. I use it with my bare hands and have yet to get shocked. I think the spark plugs were from a chain saw.

Dan

R. Zimmerman wrote:

Reply to
dcaster

I use one since I don't smoke (anymore for 10+ years) so I light a propane torch and have it handy. Lately, I had gotten a MAPP hand torch - with a 'red' button and it has been the instant torch lighter for me. Try to get the brazing setup running - grab the hand torch - and away we go. - It stands up as the two hands are busy adjusting.

Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Wayne Cook wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I used to have a little metal "can." about the size of two stacked Bull Durham tins, which plugged into the wall. I think it had some platinum catalyst attached, and all you had to do was hold the tip near it, and the tip lit. Wonder what ever happened to that thing. Wonder if you can still get them?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Look under benches... rolls when it hits the ground :-)

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn