wtb: special tap

I'm doing a job which requires me to tap a hole in prep for a schrader valve core. The thread, according to Schrader's website, is 0.206"-36tpi

This tap is not commonly available from stock. I know that I can special order this tap, but seems to be an unnecessary expense for a short run job

If anyone has any of these that they would like to sell, or knows of a source, please contact me

thanks

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Maybe a slightly different approach? What if the original part were redesigned to accept a brazed-in tire valve? You can get a set of 4 all-metal tire valves from Pep Boys for under $10, or could about 3 years ago anyway. Those of course have the threads already in them.

Alternatively, you could try making a one-off tap.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Jon" wrote: (clip) a hole (clip) a short run job (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ One or several? If it's only one or two, have you thought of inserting the end of a valve stem (silver solder or epoxy)?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

No options here, I need the tap, but thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Jon

Are you sure there are no options?

Schrader valve stems are sometime threaded *outside* as well - don't know the thread, but it may be a more common one.

Drill & thread that hole, insert & loctite a valve stem.

Reply to
_

I have a customer supplied design to follow. No options.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jon

"Jon" fired this volley in news:tPLij.8816$W73.3610@trnddc04:

Jon,

I went through the same folly-worn path on a project in my shop. Schrader wanted something like $80 for the tap, with a five week waiting perior.

I ended up finding the best quality "tire valve tool" I could find, and hardened the internal thread chaser. With that, and a bit of care, I was able to tap the six holes I had to make for Schrader inserts.

If I were to do it again, I'd just fabricate the tap from some good air- hardening stock, and be done with it for the foreseeable future.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Doing some Google searching, I found this link.

the PDF catalog and look for 4-Way Tire Valve Repair Tool.

Or in looking up the price $1.25

Would that qualify as a tap for you?

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

I don't know if this site is selling a tap:

I wonder if 13/64-36 is what you are looking for?

CORE - A/C REFRIG SERV VLV(INCLS SPRING)(EXC O-RING)(13/64-36 THD)(PART OF

33)

I didn't do very well looking for you but I did try.

It looks like threading a piece of A2, grinding flutes and hardening is the way to go atm.

And I thought the 7/32-40 irrc, tap for rear sight aperature inserts was an oddball!

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Cx??UÛnÛ8}×WÌ?\G²ã4»M?n³©?è6?d//-Q?TI*ªúõ{?r?ØE?FHj8sæÌÌaí|mñ·tÂv*ÿ"­Z??¯«>5.NM½SàCg?¤4ÕÒ9QH?´ìÜÉdjtÝM]ñ»{6}Û?m¤åÏ|;?ãè¥z? A>}/ZaU]_Õ"-??¯o¤U??µôwaO^&ê??ûkþÍwk?Ò úbV?*-É?­²Ò.yC^4ø\?*¤ÐXÙPn,?\ZZ?IKÛnoDu#·??·/J?(­?D ??Á èrí{×Q'WNy9"å?h? ¦?QÛ.{?þiã ´ÖFW=?¡*±BZ¹559oÒë?ÎéZ??§9¥B?kdªDE??ÔýÚû?V­''eíþJL[­eÊ%·ý¶_ù­?ÚÉ[&Kc=ÙVs?Jh?Ãwo´¤R8^??C:9À?§?UF?º%t²ªF@?ql/¶½:ÓÚ$7?ð?íEêÑOÁAL}?Bß>fr ?3£wý??Ê?¹¸??Ê?`}£¹©ô¾9I?®ëâZ¨? ª¿%5Y?ú+¥s7es{à®T?L'Ï.AÒÍe?É49>BË1??yîMKÂJª?¹fD(åzº­W®ýÞ6Âú0äÉáx|?L?çÉÅrüü`rxü_??è?Ò×?§³ó?è?N?3ZÌÞ.æïh9[\ÒåÇ?ù§³KZ~^Ì?½Û?ýsFçÃúú?÷oö÷>?..6¦?Îßnl§ÓýÇ?2®Of??^CIî³?áq?äm?ì??n?A ?ò6 ³ízz8"ç9ôUr×gè~L æCTdÃ)&`c??§ 0$|ý0?S8ã²i?2?ý?L??¬MGAD8=`´èG6ká[ËÒè$ê?X[`ÄFã???¨ª_D÷$ì£r0âë ¥B"Ú"uÐë~4(W7?S Xq±¤ÎtÏ????ñw?½. ÉslXåqÇ4^?¯?/²ÂD!>×qô^ÒJ8?}ON(&«D7â9Giëýz:r¦=W]7?/h¯®?(

Reply to
Jon

I think the relief valve in Bernz-o-matic cyinders is the same construction and thread. You might try approaching it from that direction.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Did a bit of googling and found this response in a similar thread:

"We carry these as specials. Normal delivery is just one day. They are not on our website, but if you go to

you can send an email or call 714-751-3844."

url is

Let us know if you find something; no doubt you are neither the first nor the last to be in this pickle.

Reply to
_

Suggest you make the special. Take a split die of -36tpi that is close and compress or expand and see if the .206 will fit - might be able.

Mart> I'm doing a job which requires me to tap a hole in prep for a schrader valve > core.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Even if you get the hole tapped, there's the gently tapered seat for the bottom of the schrader valve to be reamed out. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Get a threaded tire valve stem and thread the hole to take the stem.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That sounds cool. How do you make a tap in the home shop?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Any time I need an adapter with a tire valve connection, I take an old valve stem that the tire shop replaces every time they mount a tire, cut the rubber off, wire brush it clean and silver solder it into a quarter inch hole in whatever fitting I am adapting to. No cost except for heat and a bit of silver solder.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

I may be doing it the wrong and/or hard way but, I've done it a couple of times. Once when I had a die of the right size but not a tap - used it to thread some rod, then just ground out some relief cuts on the rod to make a tap-shaped object. Very freehand and very much not optimal angles for anything but, it made the cut I needed for exactly one hole. Second one was a bit more ambitious, single-pointed a threaded rod on the lathe and again hand-cut 2 relief cuts. Made the hole I needed. Probably not the right way but, for this job, was fine. (metric left-hand thread for one-time use, don't ask).

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Did you have to heat treat or case harden it? Or were you only tapping brass?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

(snip)

Once aluminum, once mystery-steel for a nut that was expected to have about 3 uses ever. Lots of lube and it came out OK but I wouldn't suggest it for a "real" project. This was for a water-pump tool for Triumph/Saab inline-4 engines, and several hand-turned uses per year are to be expected, kind of a gear puller with a threaded end rather than a point. If it was anything that'd deal with any number of cuts, I probably would have just bought the oddball tap. But for a one-off of not-rocket-science dirty hack spec, it was good enough. (I never claimed to be a machinist, I'm just a guy with machine tools in the basement).

Reply to
Dave Hinz