Kick start vs pull start

--Here's the thing: I've been thinking of getting one of those silly gasoline powered blenders. Trouble is, they've all got one of those pull-cords to start the little engine (the tend to be cantankerous too..). Well, since trying to start a crummy genny a while back I'm now nursing a torn rotator cuff so pull-starters are a no-no. Has anyone seen plans for a kick-starter floating around? I'm guessing there's gearing inside to accelerate a footpedal output to a rotation rate needed to start a small engine; i.e. it's not a 1-to-1 gearing..

Reply to
steamer

(...)

Electric Start!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The old maytags used a sector gear on the pedal to drive a pinion on the crank. At a guess, something like 3 or 4 inches of throw to get maybe 2 turns of the motor. Maybe you could chop up an automotive ring gear and weld a section onto an appropriate pedal and add an adapter to the motor to take the drive gear from the matching starter. Your pick on how you want to do the ratchet. Alternatively, maybe a socket adapter and a cordless drill...? --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

Could you fit a wind-up recoil starter to it?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A crescent gear and pinion from a car window drive for this application. JR Dweller in the cellar

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
JR North

We had some old Briggs and Stratton motors when we were kids that used a piece of roller chain to engage a small ratcheting sprocket on the crankshaft's outer end. The kicker had a spring return, so the chain was well out of the way when inactive. If there's any interest in such an idea, I could go into more detail off list. Some of the basic parts are on sale on ebay right now, see:

220191412007. It's not mine.

I googled "briggs and stratton kick start" and got about 5000 hits.

Go to this site to see the one I'm talking about and two or three other designs, too:

Pete Stanaitis

steamer wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Or you could just use an electric motor and battery to power the blender directly. But you'd lose all that fun noise.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

(...)

That could *never* happen.

Oops.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reminds me of the guys who get paid for feeding birds into jet engines and making videos of it :-).

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 22:57:51 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

You reminded me of a joke here, Chris. ;)

--snip-- Those Clever Americans!

The FAA has a device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. They point this thing at the windshield of the aircraft and shoot a dead chicken at about the speed the air- craft normally flies at it. If the windshield doesn't break, it's likely to survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

The British had recently built a new locomotive that could pull a train faster than any before it. They were not sure that its windshield was strong enough so they borrowed the testing device from the FAA, reset it to approximate the maximum speed of the locomotive, loaded in the dead chicken, and fired. The bird went through the windshield, broke the engineer's chair, and made a major dent in the back wall of the engine cab.

They were quite surprised with this result, so they asked the FAA to check the test to see if everything was done correctly. The FAA checked everything and suggested that they might want to repeat the test using a thawed chicken.

--snip--

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There are many variations on that joke. I went to a lecture once by a guy who did some of this work originally, and he had footage of just about every kind of bird being fired into an engine. Kind of gory actually!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Made from an impact wrench and compressed air tank. You could put an old air conditioner compressor in your vehicle to pump up the tank.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

--Hey that's a thought. Like one sees on small model airplane engines?

Reply to
steamer

--Hey I like this! Will most likely do this.

Reply to
steamer

I was thinking of a used lawnmower starter.

Could you make the kick starter lever long enough to operate the pull rope directly?

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Careful or you could tighten the flywheel nut to the point where it drives the flywheel onto the tapered shaft cracking the flywheel DAMHIKT. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

steamer wrote: Maybe you could chop up an automotive

This talk of pedals and electric motors sounds a little wimpy. A manly task requires a manly approach.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

--I don't think it would be fast enough. That's why I like the sector gear-and-pinion approach..

Reply to
steamer